Oxacillin Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxacillin sodium 1g/vial, 2g/vial, 10g/vial; pwd for IM or IV inj after reconstitution, or IV drip after reconstitution and dilution; sodium content 2.5mEq/g oxacillin sodium.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Oxacillin Inj:
Susceptible infections due to penicillinase-producing staphylococci.
Give by IM gluteal inj, or slow IV inj over 10 mins, or IV drip. Mild-to-moderate infections: 250–500mg IM or IV every 4–6 hours. Severe infections: 1g IM or IV every 4–6 hours; treat for at least 14 days, then continue for at least 48 hours after becoming afebrile, asymptomatic, or (–) cultures. Endocarditis or osteomyelitis: may need longer therapy; see literature. Switch to oral therapy as soon as clinically indicated.
Give by IM gluteal inj, or slow IV inj over 10 mins, or IV drip. Premature and neonates: 25mg/kg/day IM or IV. Infants and children <40kg: Mild-to-moderate infections: 50mg/kg/day IM or IV in divided doses every 6 hours; severe infections: 100mg/kg/day IM or IV in divided doses every 4–6 hours; treat for at least 14 days, then continue for at least 48 hours after becoming afebrile, asymptomatic, or (–) cultures. Endocarditis or osteomyelitis: may need longer therapy; see literature. Switch to oral therapy as soon as clinically indicated.
Cephalosporin or other allergy: not recommended. Asthma. Renal impairment: consider dose reduction. Do CBCs, BUN, urinalysis, creatinine levels prior to and weekly during therapy. Monitor renal, hepatic and hematopoietic function in prolonged use. Elderly (esp. IV route). Newborns (monitor). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May be antagonized by tetracycline; avoid. Potentiated by probenecid.
Inj site reactions, rash, serum sickness, GI upset, anaphylaxis, neuropathy, nephropathy, blood dyscrasias, hepatotoxicity.
Formerly known under the brand name Bactocill.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Trends in Bisphosphonate Use and Hip Fracture Rates in Denmark
- Gender-Affirming Hormonal Treatment and Long-Term Bone Safety
- Primary Characteristics of PCOS Predictive of Obstetric Complications
- Maternal Thyroid Function in Pregnancy Linked to Childhood Risk for Disease
- Sleep Habits Affect Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents With Overweight, Obesity
- Levothyroxine Associated With Increased Mortality in Patients With Heart Failure
- Head-to-Head Comparison of Professional vs Personal CGM Systems in T1D
- Dual vs Triple Therapy for Metformin Treatment Intensification in Type 2 Diabetes
- Familial Hypercholesterolemia: An Underdiagnosed Disease Gets a Second Look
- FDA Committee Votes on Oral T1D Treatment Sotagliflozin
- Elevated Plasma Agouti-Related Protein May Be a Marker for Cushing Disease
- Therapeutic Effect of Long-Chain PUFA Omega 3 Supplementation in Obese Children
- Poor Health Outcomes Associated With Fear of Crime, Violence Among College Students of Color
- Safety of PCSK9 Inhibitors After Heart Transplantation Examined