ORAPRED ODT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Prednisolone (as sodium phosphate) 10mg, 15mg, 30mg; orally-disintegrating tabs; grape flavor.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for ORAPRED ODT:
See full labeling. Tabs: swallow whole or dissolve on tongue; do not break or use partial tabs. Initially 5–60mg/day.
See full labeling. Tabs: swallow whole or dissolve on tongue; do not break or use partial tabs. Initially 0.14–2mg/kg per day in 3–4 divided doses.
Systemic mycoses. Live vaccinations. Cerebral malaria.
Tuberculosis. Latent infection (esp. amebiasis). Hypo- or hyperthyroidism. Cirrhosis. Ocular herpes simplex, optic neuritis: not recommended. Avoid exposure to chickenpox or measles; consider prophylactic passive immune therapy if exposure occurs. Renal insufficiency. Ulcerative colitis if perforation pending. Diverticulitis. Peptic ulcer. Hypertension. CHF. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. Alternate, intermittent or single-daily doses at 8AM minimize adrenal suppression. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance, and intraocular pressure. Emotional instability. Psychotic tendencies. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Effects may be decreased by hepatic enzyme inducers (eg, barbiturates, hydantoins, rifampin). May be potentiated by ketoconazole estrogens. Acute myopathy with neuromuscular blockers. Avoid aspirin. Cyclosporine: both drugs potentiated and seizures reported. Monitor warfarin, antidiabetic agents. Avoid anticholinesterases. Monitor if given with potassium-depleting agents, digoxin.
HPA axis suppression, masks infection, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Case for Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Pioglitazone May Reduce Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in T2D
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure
- Greater Bone Formation With Teriparatide vs Zoledronic Acid in Osteoporosis