ORAPRED ODT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Prednisolone (as sodium phosphate) 10mg, 15mg, 30mg; orally-disintegrating tabs; grape flavor.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for ORAPRED ODT:
See full labeling. Tabs: swallow whole or dissolve on tongue; do not break or use partial tabs. Initially 5–60mg/day.
See full labeling. Tabs: swallow whole or dissolve on tongue; do not break or use partial tabs. Initially 0.14–2mg/kg per day in 3–4 divided doses.
Systemic mycoses. Live vaccinations. Cerebral malaria.
Tuberculosis. Latent infection (esp. amebiasis). Hypo- or hyperthyroidism. Cirrhosis. Ocular herpes simplex, optic neuritis: not recommended. Avoid exposure to chickenpox or measles; consider prophylactic passive immune therapy if exposure occurs. Renal insufficiency. Ulcerative colitis if perforation pending. Diverticulitis. Peptic ulcer. Hypertension. CHF. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. Alternate, intermittent or single-daily doses at 8AM minimize adrenal suppression. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance, and intraocular pressure. Emotional instability. Psychotic tendencies. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Effects may be decreased by hepatic enzyme inducers (eg, barbiturates, hydantoins, rifampin). May be potentiated by ketoconazole estrogens. Acute myopathy with neuromuscular blockers. Avoid aspirin. Cyclosporine: both drugs potentiated and seizures reported. Monitor warfarin, antidiabetic agents. Avoid anticholinesterases. Monitor if given with potassium-depleting agents, digoxin.
HPA axis suppression, masks infection, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Executive Function Predicts T1D Management Into Emerging Adulthood
- Intensive Blood Pressure Therapy Lowers Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age
- LVAD in Heart Failure Linked to Improved Glycemic Control
- Fundamental Institutional Change Is Needed to Eliminate Sexual Harassment
- Gestational Diabetes Tied to Subsequent Glucose Disorders
- Association Health Plans Can Help Small Businesses Offer Coverage