Obesity Feature Archive
Obesity has a substantial effect on general health parameters, but its role in rheumatoid arthritis is much more complex.
Of various interventions used in nonclinical settings for the prevention of childhood overweight and obesity, school-based programs that combine nutrition and exercise and include a home-based component appear to be the most effective approaches.
In combination with dietary and physical activity counseling, all semaglutide doses from 0.05-0.4 mg daily were tolerated and resulted in dose-related reductions in body weight among people with obesity without diabetes.
A man with morbid obesity, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and obstructive sleep apnea presents with shortness of breath and dyspnea on exertion. What is the next step in care?
Pain management in patients who are obese can be a challenge due to their altered pharmacokinetic profile.
Research increasingly points to obesity and associated comorbidities as potential contributors to Alzheimer disease pathophysiology, suggesting that conditions such as prediabetes and diabetes may be modifiable risk factors.
A man presents to the emergency department having had palpitations for the past week, and he has a medical history of hypertension, obesity, and hyperlipidemia. What's the diagnosis?
The latest CDC findings show that 40% of US adults and 19% of US children are affected by obesity.
Calorie tracker apps are often superior to fitness apps when it comes to increasing weight loss.
A patient notes concerns with vision difficulty 4 years after undergoing a laparoscopic biliopancreatic diversion with a duodenal switch.
The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and the American College of Endocrinology are seeking to eliminate the stigma surrounding the term "obesity" and clarify information about obesity as a disease state.
The comorbid conditions of obesity and atrial fibrillation require better prevention and treatment strategies.
Losing weight is more complex than following a simple diet.
Obesity may affect risk of developing osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, and it has been linked with increased disease activity and adverse clinical outcomes.
A patient came to the clinic to discuss her dizzy spells 4 years after her Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery.
Findings did not establish the prespecified margin of noninferiority after unplanned early termination.
Central obesity in people with normal weight may increase the risk for premature mortality vs BMI-defined overweight or obesity.
Rajiv Narayan, MSc, offers his thoughts on the special series on obesity published in The Lancet and what changes are necessary to fight the disease.
Jennifer N. Clements, PharmD, BCPS, CDE, BCACP, discusses the pros and cons of liraglutide as a new therapy for weight management.
Clinicians should bear some concerns in mind when following the Endocrine Society's recommendations on pharmacological management of obesity.
Bariatric surgery was associated with lower risks for some pregnancy complications and outcomes, but higher risks for others.
Rajiv Narayan, MSc, discusses the top 10 abstracts presented at Obesity Week 2014.
The Endocrine Society has released a clinical practice guideline with recommendations on using drugs to manage obesity and weight loss.
Treatment paradigms for obesity now include medical therapies as well as lifestyle modifications.
ASCO recommendation tasks oncologists with assisting obese patients with cancer in finding appropriate resources for weight management.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Testosterone Use Remains High Among Men With Coronary Artery Disease
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Primary Characteristics of PCOS Predictive of Obstetric Complications
- Trends in Bisphosphonate Use and Hip Fracture Rates in Denmark
- Maternal Thyroid Function in Pregnancy Linked to Childhood Risk for Disease
- ADA's 2019 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes Focus on Patient-Centered Care
- Sleep Habits Affect Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents With Overweight, Obesity
- Levothyroxine Associated With Increased Mortality in Patients With Heart Failure
- Head-to-Head Comparison of Professional vs Personal CGM Systems in T1D
- Dual vs Triple Therapy for Metformin Treatment Intensification in Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Congenital Heart Defects in Offspring of Mothers With Obesity
- Is the MiniMed 670G System Safe for Children With Type 1 Diabetes?
- Gender-Affirming Hormonal Treatment and Long-Term Bone Safety
- Obesity Linked to Lower Gray Matter Brain Volume
- No Evidence for Health Benefits of Nonsugar Sweeteners