NICOTROL NS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nicotine 0.5mg/spray; aqueous nasal spray.
McNeil Consumer Healthcare
Indications for NICOTROL NS:
Adjunct in smoking cessation therapy.
Do not sniff, swallow, or inhale. Individualize. Usually 1–2 doses/hour; max 5 doses/hour, 40 doses/day for up to 3 months; may discontinue abruptly or taper.
Concurrent smoking or other nicotine products.
Avoid immediately post-MI, in arrhythmias, or severe or worsening angina pectoris. Hypertension. Vasospastic or coronary heart disease. Hepatic or severe renal impairment. Hyperthyroidism. Pheochromocytoma. Diabetes. Peptic ulcer disease. Elderly. Low doses may be toxic to children and pets. Nasal Spray not recommended in chronic nasal disorders. Pregnancy (Cat.D), labor & delivery: not recommended (attempt nondrug treatment first). Nursing mothers.
Nasal Spray antagonized by nasal vasoconstrictors. Smoking cessation potentiates theophylline, insulin, β-blockers, pentazocine, oxazepam, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, imipramine), caffeine, acetaminophen, adrenergic antagonists (eg, prazosin, labetalol), others. Smoking cessation antagonizes adrenergic agonists (eg, isoproterenol, phenylephrine), others.
Local irritation, GI upset, headache, dizziness, palpitations, hypertension.
Inhaler 42 cartridges—1 (w. inhaler and case); Nasal Spray 10mL (200 sprays)—1 (w. metered spray pump)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diet Quality and Glycemic Control in Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Most Foods Containing Fructose Do Not Have Harmful Effect on Glycemic Control
- Effects of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss Maintenance
- Sleep Quality in Women With Surgical vs Natural Menopause
- Unhealthy Lifestyle and Rotating Night Shifts Put Nurses at Higher Risk for T2D
- Hypothyroidism Treatment No Longer Available
- Obesity Subtype May Determine Outcomes After Bariatric Surgery
- Few Physicians Work in Practices That Use Telemedicine
- Skin Autofluorescence Predicts T2D, Heart Disease, Mortality
- ACC: Smoking Cessation Expert Decision Pathway Emphasizes Team-Based Support