Generic Name and Formulations:
Methazolamide 25mg, 50mg; tabs.
Indications for NEPTAZANE:
Ocular conditions where lowering intraocular pressure would be of therapeutic benefit (eg, chronic open-angle glaucoma, secondary glaucoma, pre-op in acute angle-closure glaucoma).
50–100mg 2–3 times daily.
Hypokalemia. Hyponatremia. Severe renal, hepatic, or adrenocortical impairment. Hyperchloremic acidosis. Cirrhosis. Long-term use in angle-closure glaucoma.
Sulfonamide allergy. Respiratory impairment (eg, pulmonary obstruction or emphysema). Do baseline CBC and platelet counts before starting and during therapy. Monitor serum electrolytes periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May inhibit renal excretion of basic drugs and promote excretion of acidic drugs. Caution with high-dose aspirin; may increase salicylate toxicity. Caution with corticosteroids; may develop hypokalemia.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.
Paresthesias, tinnitus, fatigue, malaise, anorexia, GI upset, dysguesia, drowsiness, confusion, metabolic acidosis, electrolyte imbalance, transient myopia; hepatic insufficiency, blood dyscrasias, anaphylaxis, urticaria, melena, hematuria, glycosuria, flaccid paralysis, photosensitivity, convulsions; rare: crystalluria, renal calculi.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk