Generic Name and Formulations:
Mometasone furoate (as furoate monohydrate) 50mcg/spray; aqueous nasal spray.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for NASONEX:
Treatment of seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis symptoms in patients ≥2yrs of age. Prophylaxis of seasonal allergic rhinitis symptoms in patients ≥12yrs of age. Nasal polyps.
Allergic rhinitis: 2 sprays in each nostril once daily; prophylaxis: begin 2–4 weeks prior to anticipated start of pollen season. Nasal polyps: ≥18yrs: 2 sprays in each nostril 1–2 times daily.
Allergic rhinitis: <2yrs: not recommended. 2–11yrs: 1 spray in each nostril once daily. Nasal polyps: <18yrs: not recommended.
Maintain regular regimen. Respiratory tract tuberculosis. Infections (eg, ocular herpes simplex). If exposed to measles or chickenpox, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with topical corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, depression). Monitor for growth suppression in children. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually), and candida infection or other nasal mucosal changes. Monitor if vision changes or if history of glaucoma or cataracts. Discontinue if nasopharyngeal candida infection occurs. Avoid eyes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Headache, viral infection, pharyngitis, epistaxis, cough, upper respiratory tract infections, pain, sinusitis, reduced growth velocity in children; rare: nasal ulcers.
Spray—17g (120 sprays)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Soluble Klotho Levels Predictive of Kidney Failure in Type 2 Diabetes
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Comorbid and Pharmacologic Factors Increase Risk for Gastrointestinal Disorders in Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Hormonal Contraceptives May Adversely Affect Psychological Health in Adolescent Girls
- Obesity Can Negatively Effect Liver in Children as Young as 8
- Recommendations Developed on Gender Equity in Medicine