Generic Name and Formulations:
Memantine HCl extended-release, donepezil HCl; 7mg/10mg, 14mg/10mg, 21mg/10mg, 28mg/10mg; caps.
Indications for NAMZARIC:
Moderate-to-severe dementia of the Alzheimer's type in patients stabilized on 10mg of donepezil HCl once daily.
Swallow whole or may open caps and sprinkle on applesauce, then consume entire contents; do not divide doses. Patients stabilized on donepezil HCl 10mg: initially 7mg/10mg once daily in the PM; increase at minimum weekly intervals in 7mg increments of memantine HCl to max maintenance dose of 28mg/10mg once daily; severe renal impairment (CrCl 5–29mL/min): initially 7mg/10mg once daily in the PM; increase to maintenance dose of 14mg/10mg once daily after one week. Patients stabilized on both components: 28mg/10mg once daily in the PM. Start the day after last dose of memantine HCl and donepezil HCl given separately. Severe renal impairment (CrCl 5–29mL/min): 14mg/10mg once daily.
Cardiac conduction abnormalities. Peptic ulcer. Monitor for GI bleeding. GU obstruction. Alkalinized urine (eg, renal tubular acidosis, severe UTI) increases memantine levels. Seizures. Asthma or COPD. Severe hepatic impairment. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
NMDA receptor antagonist + acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.
Caution with other NMDA antagonists (eg, amantadine, ketamine, dextromethorphan). Memantine plasma levels may be increased by urinary alkalinizers. Donepezil potentiated by CYP3A4 (eg, ketoconazole) and CYP2D6 (eg, quinidine) inhibitors. CYP3A4 inducers (eg, phenytoin, carbamazepine, dexamethasone, rifampin, phenobarbital) may increase the rate of elimination of donepezil. Antagonizes anticholinergics. Additive effects with succinylcholine-type muscle relaxants (during anesthesia), other cholinesterase inhibitors, cholinergic agonists (eg, bethanechol). Concomitant NSAIDs may increase risk of GI bleed.
Headache, diarrhea, dizziness, anorexia, vomiting, nausea, ecchymosis.
Caps 7mg/10mg, 21mg/10mg—30; 14mg/10mg, 28mg/10mg—30, 90
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Testosterone Use Remains High Among Men With Coronary Artery Disease
- Primary Characteristics of PCOS Predictive of Obstetric Complications
- Comparing Osteoporosis Screening, Treatment Strategies in Postmenopausal Women
- Maternal Thyroid Function in Pregnancy Linked to Childhood Risk for Disease
- Cerebral Small Vessel Disease More Common in Individuals With T1D vs General Population
- ADA's 2019 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes Focus on Patient-Centered Care
- Sleep Habits Affect Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents With Overweight, Obesity
- Levothyroxine Associated With Increased Mortality in Patients With Heart Failure
- Head-to-Head Comparison of Professional vs Personal CGM Systems in T1D
- Dual vs Triple Therapy for Metformin Treatment Intensification in Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Congenital Heart Defects in Offspring of Mothers With Obesity
- Is the MiniMed 670G System Safe for Children With Type 1 Diabetes?
- Gender-Affirming Hormonal Treatment and Long-Term Bone Safety
- Obesity Linked to Lower Gray Matter Brain Volume
- No Evidence for Health Benefits of Nonsugar Sweeteners