Naloxone HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Naloxone 0.4mg/mL, 1mg/mL; IV, IM or SC inj; amps (paraben-free); vials.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Naloxone HCl:
Reversal of opioid depression, including respiratory. Diagnosis of acute opioid overdose.
See full labeling. Post-op: 0.1–0.2mg IV, IM or SC, repeat 2–3 mins until desired response. Overdose: 0.4–2mg IV, IM or SC, repeat 2–3 mins; if no response after 10mg reevaluate. Both may require repeated doses depending on duration of narcotic activity.
See full labeling. Post-op: 0.005–0.01mg/kg IV, IM or SC, repeat 2–3 mins until desired response. Overdose: 0.01mg/kg initially; if inadequate response give 0.1mg/kg body weight. Neonates, post-op: 0.01mg/kg, repeat 2–3 mins until desired response.
Known or suspected opioid dependence; abrupt reversal may precipitate acute withdrawal syndrome. Monitor patients with satisfactory response due to long duration of some narcotics. Post-op use in pre-existing cardiac disease. Have other resuscitative measures available. Renal or hepatic insufficiency. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Caution with cardiotoxic drugs. Incomplete reversal of buprenorphine or pentazocine; may require higher naloxone dose.
Reversal of opioid depression: nausea, vomiting, sweating, tachycardia, increase BP, tremulousness, seizures, ventricular tacychardia and fibrillation, pulmonary edema, cardiac arrest. Also, excessive naloxone doses in post-op: reversal of analgesia, agitation.
Formerly known under the brand name Narcan.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk