Generic Name and Formulations:
Busulfan 2mg; tabs.
Indications for MYLERAN:
Palliative treatment of chronic myelogenous leukemia.
Remission induction: 4–8mg/day or 60micrograms/kg or 1.8mg/m2, daily. Reserve doses >4mg/day for severe cases. Reduce dose or discontinue at first sign of reduced bone marrow reserve. Discontinue before leukocyte count normalizes; see literature. Normal leukocyte counts usually achieved in 12–20 weeks. If remission <3 months, maintenance therapy of 1–3mg/day may be advisable.
Remission induction: 60micrograms/kg or 1.8mg/m2, daily. Reduce dose or discontinue at first sign of reduced bone marrow reserve. Discontinue before leukocyte count normalizes. Normal leukocyte counts usually achieved in 12–20 weeks. See literature.
Confirm diagnosis. Monitor hepatic and bone marrow function. Obtain CBCs and differential weekly; monitor for anemia. Previously compromised bone marrow (irradiation, chemotherapy). Seizure disorder or risk. Head trauma. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Myelosuppression increased with other myelosuppressives. Increased pulmonary toxicity with other cytotoxic drugs. Potentiated by itraconazole, cyclophosphamide (see literature). May be antagonized by phenytoin. Hepatotoxicity possible with long-term continuous thioguanine therapy. Caution with drugs that lower seizure threshold.
See literature. Bone marrow suppression (eg, pancytopenia, anemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, aplastic anemia), pulmonary toxicity, cellular dysplasia, malignant tumors, acute leukemias, cardiac tamponade (esp. in thalassemia), hyperpigmentation, adrenal insufficiency, seizures, hepatic veno-occlusive disease, infection (eg, pneumonia, sepsis), mucositis, myasthenia gravis, gonadal suppression, rash; rare: cataracts, bronchopulmonary dysplasia (discontinue if occurs).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Type 2 Diabetes Associated With Increased Fracture Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Use of FSH in Early Diagnosis of Turner Syndrome
- Surgical Treatment Better Than Medical Therapy in Severely Obese Adolescents With T2D
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome