Metronidazole Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Metronidazole 500mg/100mL; soln for IV infusion; contains sodium.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Metronidazole Injection:
Susceptible serious anaerobic infections. Surgical prophylaxis.
Infuse over 1hr. Anaerobic infections: 15mg/kg (loading dose), then 7.5mg/kg every 6hrs for 7–10 days; max 4g/24hrs. Bone/joint, lower respiratory tract, endocardium infections: may need to treat longer. Prophylaxis: 15mg/kg 1hr before surgery, then 7.5mg/kg at 6hrs and 12hrs after 1st dose. Severe hepatic impairment: reduce dose by 50%. Hemodialysis: consider dose supplementation after session.
Pregnancy (1st trimester for trichomoniasis). Within 2 weeks of disulfiram (possible psychotic reactions). Concomitant alcohol during or at least 3 days after treatment.
Discontinue if abnormal neurological symptoms occur. Candidiasis. History of blood dyscrasias. Monitor for leukopenia; do CBCs before, during and after therapy. IV: risk of severe/fatal hepatotoxicity in Cockayne Syndrome; obtain LFTs (at baseline, within first 2–3 days after starting, frequently during therapy, and after completion); discontinue if elevated. Hepatic or renal impairment; monitor. Elderly: monitor serum levels. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. May potentiate oral anticoagulants, lithium; monitor. Avoid concomitant busulfan; if needed, adjust busulfan dose and monitor. May be antagonized by phenobarbital, phenytoin, other hepatic enzyme inducers. May impair phenytoin clearance. May be potentiated by cimetidine, other hepatic enzyme inhibitors. IV: may potentiate 5-FU, vecuronium, CYP3A4 substrates (eg, amiodarone, tacrolimus, cyclosporine,carbamazepine, phenytoin, quinidine); monitor. May interfere with serum chemistry tests.
Nausea, headache, anorexia, vomiting, metallic taste, dysuria, cystitis; seizures, encephalopathy, optic/peripheral neuropathy, aseptic meningitis.
Tabs—50, 100; Caps 375mg—50; IV—contact supplier
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D
- In Teens, Young Adults, High BMI May Hurt Cardiovascular Health
- Obesity Paradox Affects Type 2 Diabetes Mortality Rates
- Bi-Directional Association Observed Between Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Diabetes
- Real-World Data Show Reduced Fracture Rates in Teriparatide-Treated Osteoporosis