METAMUCIL ORIGINAL TEXTURE OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Psyllium husk 3.4g; per rounded teaspoon; pwd; unflavored; contains sodium, potassium.
Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals
Indications for METAMUCIL ORIGINAL TEXTURE:
3.4g of powder in 8oz liquid, or 2 wafers or 5 caps with 8oz liquid 1–3 times daily, or 5 caps plus calcium with 8oz liquid up to 4 times daily. Drink 8 more ounces of liquid after powder. Results in 12–72 hours.
<6yrs: not recommended. 6–11yrs (use powder or wafer): 1.7g of powder in 8oz liquid, or 1 wafer with 8oz liquid 1–3 times daily. Drink 8 more ounces of liquid after powder.
Signs/symptoms of appendicitis. Intestinal obstruction. Fecal impaction. Dysphagia.
Rectal bleeding. Esophageal narrowing. Diabetes (sugar-containing forms).
Separate dosing by at least 2 hours from other medications.
Esophageal, gastric, enteral, rectal obstruction.
Pwd—48, 72, 114, 180, 220 doses; Pwd packets—30; Wafers—24; Caps—100, 160, 300; Caps + calcium—75, 120
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Type 2 Diabetes Associated With Increased Fracture Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Use of FSH in Early Diagnosis of Turner Syndrome
- Surgical Treatment Better Than Medical Therapy in Severely Obese Adolescents With T2D
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome