MEGACE ES Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Megestrol acetate 125mg/mL; oral susp; lemon-lime flavor.
Par Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Indications for MEGACE ES:
Anorexia, cachexia, or unexplained significant weight loss in patients diagnosed with AIDS.
Limitations Of use:
Should only be instituted after treatable causes of weight loss are sought and addressed. Not for prophylactic use to avoid weight loss.
625mg/5mL per day.
Known or suspected pregnancy (Cat.X).
Do not substitute with other megestrol suspensions (not interchangeable). History of thromboembolic disease. Monitor for signs/symptoms of adrenal insufficiency; consider empiric therapy if occurs. Diabetes. Renal impairment. Elderly. Avoid in women of childbearing potential. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May increase insulin requirements. Decreases indinavir levels.
Nausea, diarrhea, impotence, rash, flatulence, hypertension, asthenia; rare: adrenal insufficiency, breakthrough bleeding.
Concentrated susp (125mg/mL)—5oz
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Relationship Between HbA1c and Coronary Artery Disease
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- FDA to Review Gimoti for Diabetic Gastroparesis in Adult Women
- FDA Approves First Mobile App for Use in Preventing Pregnancy
- Hypothyroidism Predicts Atrial Tachyarrhythmia After AF Catheter Ablation
- Treating Painful Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy With Electroacupuncture