Generic Name and Formulations:
Neomycin 3.5mg, polymyxin B sulfate 10000Units/mL, dexamethasone 0.1%; oph. susp; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for MAXITROL:
Ocular inflammation associated with infection.
Severe: Initially 1–2 drops hourly. Mild: initially 1–2 drops up to 4–6 times daily. Ointment may be used adjunctively with drops at bedtime. Then prolong dosing interval as condition improves; max 20mL or 8g per therapeutic course.
<2yrs: not established.
Fungal, viral, or mycobacterial infections of the cornea and conjunctiva. Hypersensitivity to corticosteroids.
Not for injection. Corneal or scleral thinning. Glaucoma. Monitor for secondary infections and intraocular pressure in prolonged use. Aminoglycoside cross-sensitivity; discontinue if hypersensitivity develops. May mask signs of acute purulent or parasitic infection. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Antibiotics + steroid.
Allergic sensitization, increased intraocular pressure, cataracts, corneal perforation, optic nerve damage, visual defects, delayed wound healing, bleb formation, allergic dermatitis.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Higher Risk for Meningioma Linked to GH Treatment, Radiotherapy During Childhood
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Comparing Antidiabetic Drug Classes for Risk of Heart Failure
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- Ivacaftor Improves Insulin Secretion in Children With Cystic Fibrosis
- Genetic Testing Recommended for Familial Hypercholesterolemia
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Disaster Preparedness 101: Physician Resources for Patients
- Assessing the Environmental Impact of the Healthcare Industry