Generic Name and Formulations:
Procarbazine (as HCl) 50mg; caps.
Leadiant Biosciences, Inc.
Indications for MATULANE:
Stage III and IV Hodgkin's disease as part of the MOPP (nitrogen mustard, vincristine, procarbazine, prednisone) regimen.
Initially 2–4mg/kg per day for the first week, then 4–6mg/kg per day until max response is obtained or until WBCs <4,000cells/mm3 or platelets <100,000cells/mm3. Maintain at 1–2mg/kg per day once max response attained. In MOPP regimen: 100mg/m2 daily for 14 days.
Individualize. Initially 50mg/m2 per day for the first week, then 100mg/m2 per day until max response is obtained or leukopenia or thrombocytopenia occurs. Maintain at 50mg/m2 per day once max response attained.
Inadequate marrow reserve.
Discontinue if CNS effects (eg, paresthesias, neuropathies, confusion), leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, hypersensitivity reactions, stomatitis, diarrhea, hemorrhage or bleeding tendencies occur. Hepatic or renal impairment. Obtain baseline CBCs with differential, hemoglobin, hematocrit, reticulocytes, platelets prior to therapy, then monitor at least every 3–4 days. Do renal and hepatic function tests before starting therapy, then repeated weekly. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid sympathomimetics, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline, imipramine), foods with high tyramine content (eg, wine, yogurt, ripe cheese, bananas). CNS depression with barbiturates, antihistamines, narcotics, hypotensive agents, phenothiazines. Disulfiram-like reactions with alcohol. Separate radiation or other myelosuppressives by at least 1 month (allow for bone marrow recovery).
Leukopenia, anemia, thrombopenia, GI upset, bleeding tendencies, CNS effects, dysphagia, anorexia, abdominal pain, hypotension, tachycardia, syncope, cough, alopecia, dermatitis, pain, others.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Higher Risk for Meningioma Linked to GH Treatment, Radiotherapy During Childhood
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Comparing Antidiabetic Drug Classes for Risk of Heart Failure
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- Cochrane Data Release and the Case for "Open Science"
- Rate of Type 2 Diabetes in Chronic Kidney Disease
- Characteristics of Acquired Partial Lipodystrophy With Metabolic Abnormalities
- Poor Glycemic Control Associated With Higher Risk for Dementia in Older Adults With T1D
- Shift Seen From EDs to Urgent Care for Low-Acuity, Acute Care