Generic Name and Formulations:
Sulfur hexafluoride lipid-type A microspheres (25mg of lipid-type A lyophilized pwd with 60.7mg of sulfur hexafluoride gas); per vial; for IV or intravesical inj after reconstitution.
Indications for LUMASON:
For use in adult patients with suboptimal echocardiograms to opacify the left ventricular chamber and to improve the delineation of the left ventricular endocardial border. For use in ultrasonography of the liver to characterize focal liver lesions in adult and pediatric patients. For use in ultrasonography of the urinary tract for evaluation of suspected or known vesicoureteral reflux in pediatric patients.
See full labeling. Echocardiography: 2mL via IV bolus inj. Ultrasonography of the liver: 2.4mL via IV inj. Both: may repeat dose once if needed. Follow each inj with 5mL normal saline flush.
See full labeling. Ultrasonography of the liver: 0.03mL/kg via IV inj; max 2.4mL per inj. May repeat dose once if needed. Follow each inj with 5mL normal saline flush. Ultrasonography of the urinary tract: 1mL via intravesical bolus inj through the urinary catheter. The bladder may be refilled with normal saline for second cycle of voiding and imaging, without the need of a second Lumason inj.
Do not administer by intra-arterial inj. Risk of cardiopulmonary reactions (may be fatal); increased risk in those with unstable conditions (eg, acute MI, coronary artery syndromes, CHF, ventricular arrhythmias). Have resuscitation equipment and trained personnel readily available. Assess patients with cardiac shunts for embolic phenomena post inj. Monitor for hypersensitivity reactions. Not recommended for use at mechanical indices >0.8; high index values may lead to ventricular arrhythmias. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: no data.
Headache, nausea, dysgeusia, inj site pain, feeling hot; cardiopulmonary reactions, hypersensitivity reactions.
Kit—1 (one vial + diluent + mini-spike)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk