Generic Name and Formulations:
Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 1g; soft-gelatin caps; contains α-tocopherol 4mg/cap.
Indications for LOVAZA:
Adjunct to diet to reduce very high (≥500mg/dL) triglyceride levels in adults.
Swallow whole. ≥18yrs: 4g daily; may take as 4g once daily or as 2g twice daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Hepatic impairment: monitor AST/ALT periodically. Obtain baseline triglycerides (TG); monitor TG, LDL-C periodically. Exclude and/or treat secondary causes of hypertriglyceridema (eg, hypothyroidism, diabetes, medications). Paroxysmal or persistent atrial fibrillation. Fish allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate anticoagulants; monitor.
Eructation, dyspepsia, rash, taste perversion; increased ALT, AST, LDL-C.
Formerly known under the brand name Omacor.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Soluble Klotho Levels Predictive of Kidney Failure in Type 2 Diabetes
- HbA1c Levels Predictive of Liraglutide Treatment Response in T2D
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Comorbid and Pharmacologic Factors Increase Risk for Gastrointestinal Disorders in Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Hormonal Contraceptives May Adversely Affect Psychological Health in Adolescent Girls
- Obesity Can Negatively Effect Liver in Children as Young as 8
- Recommendations Developed on Gender Equity in Medicine