Generic Name and Formulations:
Loteprednol etabonate 0.5%; oph susp; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Bausch & Lomb Inc.
Indications for LOTEMAX:
Steroid-responsive ocular diseases. Post-op inflammation after ocular surgery.
Steroid-responsive diseases: 1–2 drops into affected eye(s) 4 times daily. May give up to 1 drop every 1 hr within the 1st week of therapy. Post-op: 1–2 drops into operated eye(s) 4 times daily beginning 24 hrs after surgery, continue for 2 wks post-op.
Ocular fungal, viral, or mycobacterial infections.
Reevaluate if no improvement after 2 days. Prescribe initially and renew after 14 days only after appropriate exam. Corneal or scleral thinning. Glaucoma. History of herpes simplex. Monitor IOP and for secondary infections in prolonged therapy (>10 days). Avoid abrupt cessation. Soft contact lenses (remove during therapy). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Local reactions (eg, blurred vision, burning, itching, dry eye), photophobia, headache, rhinitis, pharyngitis. May mask or exacerbate ocular infections. Prolonged use may increase: IOP, optic nerve damage, visual acuity and field defects, cataract formation, corneal perforation. May delay healing and increase bleb formation after cataract surgery; also, Oint/Gel: anterior chamber inflammation, conjunctival hyperemia, corneal edema, eye pain.
Susp—5mL, 10mL, 15mL, Oint—3.5g; Gel—5g
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Case for Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- Telemedicine Expands Access to Rural, Low-Income, Isolated Communities
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Pioglitazone May Reduce Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in T2D
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- MiniMed 670G System Improves Glycemic Outcomes in Children With T1D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Low Sperm Count Linked to Poor Metabolic, Cardiovascular, Bone Health
- Estrogen Improves Eating Behavior, Psychopathology in Oligo-Amenorrheic Athletes