Generic Name and Formulations:
Mesalamine 1.2g; del-rel tabs.
Shire US, Inc.
Indications for LIALDA:
To induce remission in active, mild-to-moderate ulcerative colitis; and to maintain remission of ulcerative colitis.
≥18yrs: Swallow whole with a meal. 2.4–4.8g once daily for up to 8 weeks. Maintenance: 2.4g once daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Sulfasalazine allergy. Upper GI tract obstruction (eg, pyloric stenosis) may delay onset of action. Discontinue if acute intolerance syndrome is suspected. Conditions predisposing to myocarditis or pericarditis. Atopic dermatitis or eczema: may have more severe photosensitivity reactions. Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor renal function prior to and periodically during therapy. Elderly (monitor CBCs). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Increased toxicity with nephrotoxic drugs (eg, NSAIDs). Increased risk of blood disorders with azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine. May cause elevated test results in measuring urinary normetanephrine.
Ulcerative colitis, headache, flatulence, abnormal LFTs, abdominal pain; acute intolerance syndrome (cramping, bloody diarrhea, fever, headache, rash), renal impairment, cardiac hypersensitivity reactions, pancreatitis (rare).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Trends in Bisphosphonate Use and Hip Fracture Rates in Denmark
- Gender-Affirming Hormonal Treatment and Long-Term Bone Safety
- Primary Characteristics of PCOS Predictive of Obstetric Complications
- Maternal Thyroid Function in Pregnancy Linked to Childhood Risk for Disease
- Sleep Habits Affect Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents With Overweight, Obesity
- Levothyroxine Associated With Increased Mortality in Patients With Heart Failure
- Head-to-Head Comparison of Professional vs Personal CGM Systems in T1D
- Dual vs Triple Therapy for Metformin Treatment Intensification in Type 2 Diabetes
- Familial Hypercholesterolemia: An Underdiagnosed Disease Gets a Second Look
- FDA Committee Votes on Oral T1D Treatment Sotagliflozin
- Elevated Plasma Agouti-Related Protein May Be a Marker for Cushing Disease
- Therapeutic Effect of Long-Chain PUFA Omega 3 Supplementation in Obese Children
- Poor Health Outcomes Associated With Fear of Crime, Violence Among College Students of Color
- Safety of PCSK9 Inhibitors After Heart Transplantation Examined