Generic Name and Formulations:
Levonorgestrel 0.1mg, ethinyl estradiol 20mcg (21 tabs); inert (7 tabs).
Indications for LESSINA:
Take at same time each day; max 24hrs between doses of active tabs. 1 tab daily for 28 days; repeat.
Thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disease. History of DVT, cerebrovascular or coronary artery disease. Thrombogenic valvular disease. Severe hypertension. Diabetes with vascular disease. Headaches with focal neurologic symptoms. Major surgery with prolonged immobilization. Known or suspected breast carcinoma, endometrial or other estrogen-dependent neoplasia. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Pregnancy-related cholestasis. Hepatic disease or tumors. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Increased risk of cardiovascular events esp. in cigarette smokers >35yrs of age; not recommended. Discontinue if thrombotic event, unexplained visual changes, jaundice, or headache/migraine occurs, and at least 4 weeks before through 2 weeks after surgery associated with increased risk of thromboembolism, and during and after prolonged immobilization. Cardio- or cerebrovascular diseases. Gallbladder disease. Obesity. Diabetes. Prediabetes. Hypertriglyceridemia. Depression. Conditions aggravated by fluid retention; monitor. Evaluate significant changes in headaches, irregular uterine bleeding, amenorrhea, retinal vein thrombosis. Monitor BP. Do regular complete physical exams. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antagonized by hepatic enzyme inducing drugs (eg, rifampin, griseofulvin, St. John's wort), possibly others. May affect measurement of sex hormone-binding globulin levels.
Progestin + estrogen.
Hypertension, nausea, vomiting, breakthrough bleeding, amenorrhea, transient delay of ovulation after discontinuation, edema, chloasma, mastodynia, headache, intolerance to contact lenses. Increased risk of gallbladder disease, thromboembolic disorders.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Case for Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- Telemedicine Expands Access to Rural, Low-Income, Isolated Communities
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Pioglitazone May Reduce Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in T2D
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- MiniMed 670G System Improves Glycemic Outcomes in Children With T1D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Low Sperm Count Linked to Poor Metabolic, Cardiovascular, Bone Health
- Estrogen Improves Eating Behavior, Psychopathology in Oligo-Amenorrheic Athletes