Terbinafine Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Terbinafine HCl 250mg.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Terbinafine Tablets:
Onychomycosis of the toenail or fingernail due to tinea unguium.
250mg once daily for 6 weeks (fingernail) or 12 weeks (toenail).
Chronic or active liver disease.
Onychomycosis: confirm diagnosis with nail specimen. Perform LFTs prior to and periodically during treatment. Discontinue if hepatic injury, progressive skin rash (eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, DRESS), taste/smell disturbances, severe neutropenia (neutrophils ≤1000 cells/mm3), thrombotic microangiopathy occur, or if lupus erythematosus is suspected. Monitor CBCs if immunodeficient. Renal impairment (CrCl <50mL/min). Pregnancy (Cat.B), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antagonized by rifampin. May be potentiated by cimetidine or CYP2C9 and CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, fluconazole, ketoconazole, amiodarone). May potentiate caffeine or drugs metabolized by CYP2D6 (eg, tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs, beta-blockers). May antagonize cyclosporine.
Headache, diarrhea, rash, dyspepsia, liver enzyme abnormalities, pruritus, taste disturbances, nausea, abdominal pain, flatulence, urticaria; hepatotoxicity, depressive symptoms, smell disturbances.
Formerly known under the brand name Lamisil.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Gender-Affirming Hormonal Treatment and Long-Term Bone Safety
- Predictors of Disordered Eating Behaviors in Teens With Type 1 Diabetes
- Is the MiniMed 670G System Safe for Children With Type 1 Diabetes?
- Risk for Congenital Heart Defects in Offspring of Mothers With Obesity
- Behavioral Modification Improves Fertility in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Familial Hypercholesterolemia: An Underdiagnosed Disease Gets a Second Look
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Depression, Anxiety Predict Physical Health Indices As Strongly As Obesity
- Vaginal Estrogen Use Not Associated With Elevated Chronic Disease Risk
- Intraoperative Monitoring of PTH May Simplify Surgical Care for Primary Hyperparathyroidism
- Linagliptin and Cardiovascular Events in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
- Private Equity Acquisition of Physician Practices Discussed
- FDA Panel Votes on Novel Osteoporosis Treatment Evenity
- Challenges in Instituting Artificial Intelligence in Health Care
- The Role of Sex Hormones in Primary Headaches: a Review