Labetalol HCl Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Labetalol HCl 5mg/mL; soln for IV inj and infusion after dilution; contains parabens.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Labetalol HCl Injection:
Individualize. Maintain supine position; monitor BP. Repeated IV inj: 20mg over 2 minutes, may give additional 40mg or 80mg at 10 minute intervals up to max total dose of 300mg or until desired supine BP. Slow continuous infusion: 2mg/min (see literature).
Bronchial asthma. Overt cardiac failure. 2nd- or 3rd- degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock. Severe bradycardia. Other conditions associated with severe and prolonged hypotension. History of obstructive airway disease (eg, asthma).
Ischemic heart disease or failure. Monitor hepatic function: discontinue at first sign of liver injury. If signs of cardiac failure, treat with digitalis or diuretic, discontinue if failure continues. COPD. Pheochromocytoma. Diabetes. Surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Caution with verapamil. Potentiates hypotension with nitroglycerin. May blunt effects of epinephrine, β-agonist bronchodilators. Avoid alkaline drugs (eg, furosemide) administration in same infusion line. Adjust antidiabetic medication. Potentiated by cimetidine and halothane. Tremor with tricyclic antidepressants. May cause false positive urine test for amphetamine.
Noncardioselective beta-blocker/alpha-1 blocker.
Symptomatic postural hypotension, GI upset, dizziness, increased BUN and serum creatinine, paresthesias, sweating, somnolence, flushing, ventricular arrhythmia, vertigo, pruritus.
Formerly known under the brand names Normodyne, Trandate.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Reducing Total Daily Insulin Dose in T2D: 3-Meal vs 6-Meal Diet
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure