Generic Name and Formulations:
Sapropterin dihydrochloride 100mg; tabs.
Indications for KUVAN:
In conjunction with a phenylalanine (Phe)-restricted diet: To reduce blood Phe levels in hyperphenylalaninemia (HPA) due to tetrahydrobiopterin- (BH4-) responsive phenylketonuria (PKU).
Adults and Children:
<1 month: consult manufacturer. Take with food at same time each day. Dissolve tab in 4–8oz water or apple juice (may crush tab) and drink within 15 mins (tab may not completely dissolve). 1 month–6yrs: Initially 10mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response may increase to 20mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response after 1 month, discontinue. ≥7yrs: 10–20mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response after 1 month, discontinue. Usual range 5–20mg/kg per day; adjust based on blood Phe levels.
Monitor blood levels of Phe after 1 week to assess effect, then periodically. Discontinue if anaphylaxis occurs. Maintain Phe-restricted diet. Monitor BP and change in neurologic status. Hepatic or renal impairment; monitor. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Caution with drugs that can inhibit folate metabolism (eg, methotrexate), PDE-5 inhibitors (eg, sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil), other nitric oxide donors, levodopa; monitor. May potentiate drugs that are P-gp or BCRP substrates.
Enzyme cofactor (BH4).
Headache, rhinorrhea, pharyngolaryngeal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, cough, nasal congestion, gastritis, hypophenylalaninemia, hyperactivity (monitor).
Tabs—120; Packet—1, 30
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- Reducing Total Daily Insulin Dose in T2D: 3-Meal vs 6-Meal Diet
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk
- Drug Copayments Often Cost More Than Prescription Drugs
- Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery Offers Best Outcomes for Pregnant Women With T1D