Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetracaine HCl, oxymetazoline HCl 6mg/0.1mg; per spray; aqueous soln for intranasal use.
St. Renatus, LLC
Indications for KOVANAZE :
Regional anesthesia for restorative procedures on Teeth 4–13 and A–J in adults and children weighing ≥40kg.
≥18yrs: 2 sprays (0.2mL each) given 4–5mins apart, in the nostril ipsilateral to the maxillary tooth on which the dental procedure will be performed. Initiate dental procedure 10mins after the second spray. 1 additional spray can be given if inadequate response achieved 10mins after the second spray.
<3yrs or <40kg: not recommended. ≥3yrs (≥40kg): 2 sprays (0.2mL each) given 4–5mins apart, in the nostril ipsilateral to the maxillary tooth on which the dental procedure will be performed. Initiate dental procedure 10mins after the second spray.
Monitor for hypertension and dysphagia. Uncontrolled hypertension or uncontrolled active thyroid disease: not recommended. History of frequent nosebleeds (≥5/month); avoid or monitor carefully if used. G6PD deficiency. History of congenital or idiopathic methemoglobinemia: not recommended. Severe hepatic disease or pseudocholinesterase deficiency: monitor for toxicity. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of methemoglobinemia with concomitant sulfonamides, acetaminophen, acetanilide, aniline dyes, benzocaine, chloroquine, dapsone, naphthalene, nitrates and nitrites, nitrofurantoin, nitroglycerin, nitroprusside, pamaquine, p-aminosalicylic acid, phenacetin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primaquine, quinine; monitor carefully. Increased risk of hypertension with MAOIs, nonselective beta adrenergic antagonists, TCAs: not recommended; use alternative anesthetic if unavoidable. Discontinue other oxymetazoline-containing products 24hrs prior to Kovanaze use. Avoid concomitant other intranasal products.
Topical anesthetic + sympathomimetic.
Rhinorrhea, nasal congestion, nasal discomfort, oropharyngeal pain, increased lacrimation; transient BP increase, epistaxis, methemoglobinemia, anaphylaxis.
Single-dose nasal spray (0.2mL)—30
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Reducing Total Daily Insulin Dose in T2D: 3-Meal vs 6-Meal Diet
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure