Generic Name and Formulations:
Diphtheria and tetanus toxoids, acellular pertussis vaccine, aluminum hydroxide adsorbed; inactivated polio vaccine; susp for IM inj; preservative-free; contains traces of formaldehyde, polysorbate 80, neomycin, polymixin B.
Indications for KINRIX:
Immunization against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, and polio: As the 5th dose in the DTaP immunization series and the 4th dose in the inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) series in children 4–6 years of age (before 7th birthday) who previously received Infanrix (DTaP) and/or Pediarix (DTaP, HB, IPV) for the first 3 doses and Infanrix for the 4th dose.
<4yrs or ≥7yrs: not recommended. 4–6yrs: One dose of 0.5mL IM in deltoid muscle.
Anaphylaxis associated with previous diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, or polio vaccine. Encephalopathy within 7 days of previous pertussis vaccine. Progressive neurological disorders (eg, infantile spasms, uncontrolled epilepsy, progressive encephalopathy).
Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous tetanus vaccination. Fever (≥105°F within 48hrs), persistent inconsolable crying (≥3hrs within 48hrs), shock (within 48hrs), or seizures (within 3 days) after previous pertussis vaccine: see literature. Seizure risk: may give antipyretics. Latex allergy (prefilled syringes). Have epinephrine available. Pregnancy (Cat.C): not applicable.
DTaP + IPV.
May give with concomitant vaccines (eg, MMR). Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Inj site pain, redness, local swelling, increase in arm circumference, drowsiness, fever, loss of appetite.
Report adverse events to VAERS at (800) 822-7967 and to GlaxoSmithKline at (888) 825-5249.
Single-dose vials—10; Single-dose prefilled Tip-Lok syringes—5 (without needles)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diet Quality and Glycemic Control in Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Most Foods Containing Fructose Do Not Have Harmful Effect on Glycemic Control
- Effects of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss Maintenance
- Sleep Quality in Women With Surgical vs Natural Menopause
- Unhealthy Lifestyle and Rotating Night Shifts Put Nurses at Higher Risk for T2D
- Hypothyroidism Treatment No Longer Available
- Obesity Subtype May Determine Outcomes After Bariatric Surgery
- Few Physicians Work in Practices That Use Telemedicine
- Skin Autofluorescence Predicts T2D, Heart Disease, Mortality
- ACC: Smoking Cessation Expert Decision Pathway Emphasizes Team-Based Support