KEPPRA XR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Levetiracetam 500mg, 750mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for KEPPRA XR:
Adjunct in partial onset seizures in patients ≥12yrs old.
Initially 1g once daily; may increase at 2-week intervals in increments of 1g/day; max 3g/day. Renal impairment: CrCl 50–80mL/min: 1–2g every 24hrs; CrCl 30–50mL/min: 500mg–1.5g every 24hrs; CrCl <30mL/min: 500mg–1g every 24hrs; ESRD patients on dialysis: use immediate-release levetiracetam.
Renal impairment. Monitor for behavioral abnormalities, psychiatric symptoms, somnolence, and fatigue. Hematologic abnormalities: do CBCs in those experiencing significant weakness, pyrexia, recurrent infections, or coagulation disorders. Discontinue if signs/symptoms of anaphylaxis or angioedema develops. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly (consider monitoring renal function). Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C); monitor carefully esp. during 3rd trimester. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Somnolence, asthenia, infection, dizziness, neck pain, pharyngitis; behavioral abnormalities (eg, irritability, aggression, anger, depression, anxiety, apathy), psychotic symptoms, coordination difficulties (eg, ataxia, abnormal gait), hematologic abnormalities, dermatological reactions (may be serious [eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis]; discontinue if occurs). Children: also fatigue, nasal congestion, accidental injury, hostility, nervousness, decreased appetite; BP increases in children 1 month–4years (monitor). XR: also nausea.
Enroll pregnant patients exposed to levetiracetam in the North American Antiepileptic Drug pregnancy registry (888) 233-2334 or the UCB AED Pregnancy Registry (888) 537-7734.
Tabs 250mg, 500mg, 750mg—120; 1000mg—60; XR—60; Soln—16oz; Single-use vials (5mL)—10
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Prediabetes a Useful Indicator for Cardiovascular and Renal Risks
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Gut Microbiota Profiles in Prediabetes
- Metabolic Syndrome Associated With Higher ALT Levels in Chronic Hepatitis B
- Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes Show Muscle Metabolic Deficiencies
- Social Support of Autonomy Tied to Better Glycemic Control in Diabetes
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation