Generic Name and Formulations:
Desirudin 15mg/vial; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; preservative-free; diluent contains mannitol.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for IPRIVASK:
DVT prophylaxis in patients undergoing hip replacement surgery.
Not interchangeable with other hirudins. Give by SC inj, preferably in abdomen or thigh. 15mg every 12hrs starting up to 5–15min before surgery (after induction of regional block anesthesia, if used); may continue for 9–12 days post-op. Renal impairment (CrCl<60mL/min): reduce dose (see full labeling).
Traumatic or repeated neuraxial puncture. Post-op indwelling epidural catheter (place catheter before starting therapy and remove when desirudin effect is low). Hemorrhagic stroke. Recent surgery or biopsy. Diabetic retinopathy. Severe uncontrolled hypertension. Recent GI or pulmonary bleeding. Bacterial endocarditis. Renal impairment: monitor aPTT and serum creatinine closely. Hepatic impairment. Monitor for neurological impairment (may indicate spinal/epidural hematoma). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Direct thrombin inhibitor (recombinant hirudin).
Concomitant heparins (fractionated or unfractionated): not recommended. Concomitant NSAIDs, platelet inhibitors, other anticoagulants: increased risk of bleeding, neuraxial hematoma with epidural catheters; discontinue these and others that increase bleeding risk (eg, glucocorticoids, Dextran 40) before starting desirudin. Caution with drugs that affect platelets (eg, salicylates, ticlopidine, clopidogrel, abciximab, gp IIb/IIIa antagonists). Switching to or from coumadin: monitor closely.
Bleeding, inj site reaction/mass, nausea, anaphylaxis, antibody formation.
Single-use vials—10 (w. diluent, supplies)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Link Between Gestational Diabetes and Risk for CVD and Diabetes in Hispanic/Latina Population
- Clinical Characteristics Altering Risks and Benefits of Sulfonylureas and Thiazolidinedione Therapy in T2D
- 6 Factors Related to Inclusion in Health Care Workplace Identified
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D