Generic Name and Formulations:
Apraclonidine (as HCl) 0.5%; oph. soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for IOPIDINE:
Short-term adjunctive therapy to reduce elevated IOP.
Remove contact lenses; may reinsert 15min after instillation. 1–2 drops 3 times daily. Allow at least 5min between instillation of other oph drugs.
Clonidine allergy. Concomitant MAOIs.
Monitor visual fields. Severe uncontrolled cardiovascular disease, hypertension, coronary insufficiency. Recent myocardial infarction. Cerebrovascular disease. Raynaud's syndrome. Thromboangiitis obliterans. Discontinue if ocular allergic-like reactions occur. Renal or hepatic impairment: closely monitor cardiovascular parameters. Depression. Masks hypoglycemia. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Hypertensive crisis with MAOIs. May potentiate CNS depressants, alcohol. May be antagonized by tricyclic antidepressants. Additive hypotensive effects with neuroleptics; hypotensive and pulse effects with β-blockers, antihypertensives, cardiac glycosides, others (eg, clonidine).
Hyperemia, pruritus, dry mouth, itching, discomfort, tearing, dizziness, solmnolence, lid edema, blurred vision, foreign body sensation, dry eye, conjunctivitis, discharge, blanching, headache, asthenia, dry nose, taste perversion; tachyphylaxis may develop after 1 month.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Type 2 Diabetes Associated With Increased Fracture Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Use of FSH in Early Diagnosis of Turner Syndrome
- Surgical Treatment Better Than Medical Therapy in Severely Obese Adolescents With T2D
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome