Generic Name and Formulations:
Mecasermin 10mg/mL; soln for SC inj; contains benzyl alcohol.
Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for INCRELEX:
Growth failure in children with severe primary IGF-1 deficiency (Primary IGFD) or in those with growth hormone (GH) gene deletion who have developed neutralizing antibodies to GH.
Limitations Of use:
Not a substitute to GH for approved GH indications.
Closed epiphyses: not recommended.
Administer before or after (+/–20 minutes) a meal/snack; rotate inj sites. <2yrs: not established. ≥2yrs: initially 0.04 to 0.08mg/kg SC twice daily; may increase after 1 week by 0.04mg/kg per dose; max 0.12mg/kg twice daily.
Growth promotion in patients with closed epiphyses. Active or suspected neoplasia. IV administration.
Not for secondary forms of IGF-1 deficiency. Correct thyroid and nutritional deficiences before treatment. Measure preprandial glucose level before treatment and monitor until a tolerated dose is established. Reduce dose if hypoglycemia occurs despite adequate food intake with therapy. Monitor for lymphoid tissue hypertrophy complications. Do funduscopic exam for intracranial hypertension at the start of therapy, then periodically. Evaluate any child with onset of limp or hip/knee pain for possible slipped capital femoral epiphysis. Monitor for progression of scoliosis. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Recombinant human insulin-like growth factor-1 (rhIGF-1).
Hypoglycemia, local/systemic hypersensitivity (including anaphylaxis), lymphoid tissue hypertrophy (eg, tonsillar and adenoidal hypertrophy); intracranial hypertension.
Multidose vial (40mg/vial)—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Gender-Affirming Hormonal Treatment and Long-Term Bone Safety
- Predictors of Disordered Eating Behaviors in Teens With Type 1 Diabetes
- Is the MiniMed 670G System Safe for Children With Type 1 Diabetes?
- Risk for Congenital Heart Defects in Offspring of Mothers With Obesity
- Behavioral Modification Improves Fertility in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Familial Hypercholesterolemia: An Underdiagnosed Disease Gets a Second Look
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Depression, Anxiety Predict Physical Health Indices As Strongly As Obesity
- Vaginal Estrogen Use Not Associated With Elevated Chronic Disease Risk
- Intraoperative Monitoring of PTH May Simplify Surgical Care for Primary Hyperparathyroidism
- Linagliptin and Cardiovascular Events in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
- Private Equity Acquisition of Physician Practices Discussed
- FDA Panel Votes on Novel Osteoporosis Treatment Evenity
- Challenges in Instituting Artificial Intelligence in Health Care
- The Role of Sex Hormones in Primary Headaches: a Review