IMITREX NASAL SPRAY Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Sumatriptan 5mg, 20mg; per spray.
Indications for IMITREX NASAL SPRAY:
Acute treatment of migraine.
≥18yrs: 5mg, 10mg, or 20mg once. Reevaluate if no response. May repeat once after 2hrs; max 40mg/day. The safety of treating an average of more than 4 headaches in a 30-day period has not been established.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Do not give intravenously. History, symptoms, or signs of ischemic cardiac (eg, MI, angina pectoris, silent myocardial ischemia), cerebrovascular (eg, stroke, TIA), or peripheral vascular (eg, ischemic bowel disease) syndromes. Vasospastic coronary artery disease. Uncontrolled hypertension. Basilar or hemiplegic migraine. Severe hepatic impairment. Within 24 hours of ergot-type drugs (eg, methysergide, dihydroergotamine), or other 5-HT1 agonists. During or within 2 weeks after discontinuing MAO-A inhibitors (MAOI type A).
Confirm diagnosis. Avoid excessive use. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, and consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary artery disease (eg, postmenopausal women, hypercholesterolemia, men over age 40, hypertension, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Peripheral vascular or colonic ischemia following other 5-HT1 agonists. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Seizure risk. Latex allergy (Inj). Instruct patient on use of autoinjector. Elderly: not recommended. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers (avoid nursing for 12 hours after treatment).
Selective 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonist.
Ergotamines, other 5-HT1 agonists, MAOIs: see Contraindications. Serotonin syndrome with SSRIs (eg, citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, paroxetine, sertraline) or SNRIs (eg, duloxetine, venlafaxine).
Tingling, warm/hot sensation, flushing; chest/neck/sinus/jaw discomfort; dizziness/vertigo, muscle pain/weakness, numbness, fatigue, drowsiness, anxiety, sweating, local reactions, seizures, colonic ischemia, drug overuse headache (discontinue if occurs), hypersensitivity reactions; rare: serious cardiac and cerebrovascular events (including fatalities), vision loss. Nasal spray: also dysgeusia, local irritation.
Register pregnant patients exposed to sumatriptan by calling (800) 336-2176.
STATdose kit (2 prefilled cartridges + 1 Pen)—1; Refills (2 prefilled cartridges)—1; Single-dose vials (6mg/0.5mL)—5; Tabs—9; Nasal spray (single dose)—6
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D
- In Teens, Young Adults, High BMI May Hurt Cardiovascular Health
- Obesity Paradox Affects Type 2 Diabetes Mortality Rates
- Bi-Directional Association Observed Between Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Diabetes
- Real-World Data Show Reduced Fracture Rates in Teriparatide-Treated Osteoporosis