Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydrocodone bitartrate, ibuprofen; 5mg/200mg, 10mg/200mg; tabs.
Indications for IBUDONE:
Short term (generally <10 days) management of acute pain.
Individualize; use lowest effective dose for shortest time. ≥16yrs: 1 tab every 4–6 hours as needed; max 5 tabs/day.
<16yrs: not recommended.
Aspirin allergy. Coronary artery bypass graft surgery. 3rd trimester pregnancy.
Advanced renal disease: not recommended. Head injury. Increased intracranial pressure. Acute abdomen. Peptic ulcer. History of upper GI disease. Impaired renal, hepatic, thyroid, pulmonary, or adrenocortical function. GI or GU obstruction. Asthma. Edema. Hypertension. Heart failure. Bleeding disorders. Monitor BP, blood, and hepatic and renal function. Dehydration. Post-op (may suppress cough reflex). Drug abusers. Discontinue if hepatic dysfunction occurs. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Labor & delivery, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Opioid + NSAID.
See Contraindications. Avoid aspirin. Alcohol, other CNS depressants potentiated. May potentiate, or be potentiated by, MAOIs (not recommended) or tricyclic antidepressants, skeletal muscle relaxants. Increases serum lithium levels. May reduce efficacy of, and increase risk of renal failure with, ACEIs, diuretics. May increase bleeding with anticoagulants. Paralytic ileus may occur with anticholinergics. May increase lithium, methotrexate toxicity. Corticosteroids increase risk of GI bleed.
Headache, CNS depression, dizziness, GI upset/bleed, constipation, rash (discontinue if occurs), respiratory depression, anemia, mood changes, confusion, anaphylaxis; aseptic meningitis (rare); others. See literature re: risk of cardiovascular events.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Association Between Urine Complement Proteins and Kidney Disease, Mortality in T2D
- PCSK9 Inhibition: Benefits Outweigh Risks in Patients With Diabetes
- Rates of Incident Type 2 Diabetes in Chronic Kidney Disease
- Availability and Affordability of Diabetes Medication Worldwide
- Bioethics Concerns Should Be a Key Element in mHealth Technology Development
- Gestational Diabetes Associated With Increased Risk for Postpartum Depression
- High Prevalence of Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome May Favor Screening in Diabetes
- Update on the T2D-Dementia Link: Interview With Experts
- Dozens of Medical Groups Join Forces to Improve Diagnoses