Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydrocodone bitartrate, ibuprofen; 5mg/200mg, 10mg/200mg; tabs.
Indications for IBUDONE:
Short term (generally <10 days) management of acute pain.
Individualize; use lowest effective dose for shortest time. ≥16yrs: 1 tab every 4–6 hours as needed; max 5 tabs/day.
<16yrs: not recommended.
Aspirin allergy. Coronary artery bypass graft surgery. 3rd trimester pregnancy.
Advanced renal disease: not recommended. Head injury. Increased intracranial pressure. Acute abdomen. Peptic ulcer. History of upper GI disease. Impaired renal, hepatic, thyroid, pulmonary, or adrenocortical function. GI or GU obstruction. Asthma. Edema. Hypertension. Heart failure. Bleeding disorders. Monitor BP, blood, and hepatic and renal function. Dehydration. Post-op (may suppress cough reflex). Drug abusers. Discontinue if hepatic dysfunction occurs. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Labor & delivery, nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Avoid aspirin. Alcohol, other CNS depressants potentiated. May potentiate, or be potentiated by, MAOIs (not recommended) or tricyclic antidepressants, skeletal muscle relaxants. Increases serum lithium levels. May reduce efficacy of, and increase risk of renal failure with, ACEIs, diuretics. May increase bleeding with anticoagulants. Paralytic ileus may occur with anticholinergics. May increase lithium, methotrexate toxicity. Corticosteroids increase risk of GI bleed.
Opioid + NSAID.
Headache, CNS depression, dizziness, GI upset/bleed, constipation, rash (discontinue if occurs), respiratory depression, anemia, mood changes, confusion, anaphylaxis; aseptic meningitis (rare); others. See literature re: risk of cardiovascular events.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk