In a study, patients receiving cinacalcet under supervision 3 times per week after dialysis rather than after daily self-administration showed improvement in their parathyroid hormone levels.
Markers of bone resorption decreased in hemodialysis patients with 6 months of etelcalcetide treatment.
The rate of pre-eclampsia and preterm delivery was higher in medically managed patients with hyperparathyroidism.
Investigators sought to determine the effects of vitamin D3 supplementation in postmenopausal women with low serum 25(OH)D and high parathyroid hormone levels.
Investigators aimed to assess biochemical predictors of renal calcifications in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism.
After parathyroidectomy, morbidity and mortality rates were considerably higher in patients with secondary and tertiary vs primary hyperparathyroidism.
Data were collected from the Nurses' Health Study I to examine the relationship between BMI and primary hyperparathyroidism risk.
The drug's approval was based on 2 successful phase 3 trials.
Etelcalcetide shows promise for reducing parathyroid hormone in hemodialysis patients with secondary hyperparathyroidism.
Study reveals 6-fold higher risk of secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients on furosemide vs hydrochlorothiazide.
Quality-of-life scores improved significantly after successful parathyroidectomy.
Reduced fracture risk for surgery; bisphosphonate treatment no better than observation
Recent data showed that parathyroidectomy is more effective for controlling hypercalcemia after kidney transplants in patients with persistent hyperparathyroidism.
The correlation persists regardless of concurrent oral bisphosphonate administration.
More patients with abnormal bone mineral density should undergo screening for primary hyperparathyroidism.
AMG 416 demonstrated positive results for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients with chronic kidney disease.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diet Quality and Glycemic Control in Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Most Foods Containing Fructose Do Not Have Harmful Effect on Glycemic Control
- Hypothyroidism Treatment No Longer Available
- Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals in Personal Care Products Linked to Early Puberty
- Normalized HbA1c Levels Facilitate Improved Neuropathy Outcomes in T2D
- Hypertensive Disorders in Pregnancy, Postpartum BMI Linked to T2D Risk
- Sleep Quality, Duration Affect Risk for Falls and Fractures in Older Women
- Physician Burnout Linked to Stress in Using Health Information Technology
- Type 2 Diabetes Linked to Colorectal Cancer Risk in Men
- Urinary Incontinence Drug May Reduce Frequency of Hot Flashes