HUMULIN R U-100 OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Regular insulin (human, rDNA origin) 100 Units/mL; inj.
Lilly, Eli and Company
Indications for HUMULIN R U-100:
Adults and Children:
SC or IV injection. SC: onset approx 30 mins, peak 2–4hrs, duration 6–8hrs.
Instruct patients on diet, exercise, blood or urine testing, proper administration of insulin, change in species of origin, type or purity of insulin, and management of hypoglycemia. Do not reuse or share pens, needles, or syringes between patients. Dosage increase may be required during infection, illness, stress, trauma, and pregnancy. Dosage decrease may be needed with renal or hepatic dysfunction.
Concomitant thiazolidinediones (TZDs) may cause fluid retention and heart failure; consider dose reduction or discontinue TZDs. Potentiated by oral antidiabetic agents, pramlintide, ACE inhibitors, disopyramide, fibrates, fluoxetine, MAOIs, propoxyphene, salicylates, somatostatin analog, sulfonamide antibiotics. Antagonized by corticosteroids, isoniazid, niacin, danazol, diuretics, thiazides, phenothiazines, sympathomimetics, somatropin, thyroid hormones, estrogens, progestogens, atypical antipsychotics. Variable effects with β-blockers, clonidine, lithium salts, alcohol, pentamidine. Onset may be delayed if regular insulin is mixed with zinc insulin. Regular and NPH insulins may be mixed and used immediately or stored for future use.
Hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, local or systemic allergy, lipodystrophy, edema.
Vials 70/30, N, R (U-100)—10mL; R (U-500)—20mL; KwikPen (70/30, N)—5x3mL; R (U-500)—2x3mL, 5x3mL
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Higher Risk for Meningioma Linked to GH Treatment, Radiotherapy During Childhood
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Comparing Antidiabetic Drug Classes for Risk of Heart Failure
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- Ivacaftor Improves Insulin Secretion in Children With Cystic Fibrosis
- Genetic Testing Recommended for Familial Hypercholesterolemia
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Disaster Preparedness 101: Physician Resources for Patients
- Assessing the Environmental Impact of the Healthcare Industry