Generic Name and Formulations:
Insulin lispro (rDNA origin) 100 Units/mL, 200 Units/mL; soln for SC inj or continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion pump; contains zinc, m-cresol.
Lilly, Eli and Company
Indications for HUMALOG:
Adults and Children:
<3yrs: not recommended. Onset approx ≤15 mins, peak approx 1hr, duration approx 3.5–4.5hrs. ≥3yrs: Give SC, either by injection or continuous infusion external pump. SC inj: give 15 mins before meal or immediately after a meal; use with an intermediate or long-acting insulin. Rotate inj sites. Continuous SC infusion pump: do not use diluted or mixed insulins in external pumps; change the Humalog in the reservoir at least every 7 days, change the infusion sets and insertion site at least every 3 days.
During episodes of hypoglycemia.
Instruct patients on diet, exercise, blood or urine testing, proper administration of insulin, change in species of origin, type or purity of insulin, and management of hypoglycemia. Do not reuse or share pens, needles, cartridges, or syringes between patients. Dosage increase may be required during infection, illness, stress, trauma, and pregnancy. Dosage decrease may be needed with renal or hepatic dysfunction. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant thiazolidinediones (TZDs) may cause fluid retention and heart failure; consider dose reduction or discontinue TZDs. Potentiated by oral antidiabetic agents, pramlintide, ACE inhibitors, disopyramide, fibrates, fluoxetine, MAOIs, propoxyphene, salicylates, somatostatin analog, sulfonamide antibiotics. Antagonized by corticosteroids, isoniazid, niacin, danazol, diuretics, thiazides, phenothiazines, sympathomimetics, somatropin, thyroid hormones, estrogens, progestogens, atypical antipsychotics. Variable effects with β-blockers, clonidine, lithium salts, alcohol, pentamidine. When mixing insulin lispro with other insulins, draw insulin lispro into syringe first and inject mixture immediately.
Hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, local or systemic allergy, lipodystrophy, edema.
Humalog Mix75/25, Humalog vials (10mL)—1; Humalog Mix, Humalog U-100 Kwikpen (prefilled) (3mL), Humalog U-100 Junior Kwikpen (prefilled) (3mL), Humalog U-200 Kwikpen (prefilled) (3mL)—5; Humalog cartridges (3mL)—5; HumaPen LUXURA HD (inj device, uses Humalog cartridges)—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Soluble Klotho Levels Predictive of Kidney Failure in Type 2 Diabetes
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Comorbid and Pharmacologic Factors Increase Risk for Gastrointestinal Disorders in Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Hormonal Contraceptives May Adversely Affect Psychological Health in Adolescent Girls
- Obesity Can Negatively Effect Liver in Children as Young as 8
- Recommendations Developed on Gender Equity in Medicine