Generic Name and Formulations:
Tasimelteon 20mg; hard gel caps.
Vanda Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for HETLIOZ:
Treatment of non-24-hour sleep-wake disorder (Non-24).
Swallow whole. Take 20mg once daily before bedtime, at the same time every night. Do not take with food.
Risk of somnolence; can potentially impair the performance of activities requiring mental alertness. Severe hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh C): not recommended. Smokers. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat. C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant strong CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, fluvoxamine), strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole), or others; effects may be increased. Avoid concomitant strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin) or others; effects may be reduced. Tasimelteon exposure decreased by smoking (induction of CYP1A2 levels). Additive effects with alcohol.
Melatonin receptor agonist.
Headache, increased ALT, nightmares or unusual dreams, upper respiratory tract infection, urinary tract infection; somnolence.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure