Granisetron HCl Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Granisetron (as HCl) 1mg/mL (contains benzyl alcohol); 0.1mg/mL (preservative-free); IV inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Granisetron HCl Injection:
Prevention of nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy (including high-dose cisplatin). Prevention and treatment of post-op nausea and vomiting.
Adults and Children:
Chemotherapy: give as an undiluted IV injection over 30 seconds or as a diluted IV infusion over 5 minutes. <2 years: not recommended; ≥2 years: 10micrograms/kg starting within 30 minutes of initiating chemotherapy, only on the days chemotherapy is given. Post-op (adults): infuse 1mg undiluted IV over 30 seconds. For prevention, give before induction of anesthesia or immediately before reversal of anesthesia. Post-op (children): not recommended.
Abdominal surgery. May mask progressive ileus and/or gastric distention. Pre-existing arrhythmias or cardiac conduction disorders. Cardiac disease, concomitant cardio-toxic chemotherapy or electrolyte abnormalities: increased risk of QT prolongation. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Caution with drugs that affect CYP450 or prolong the QT interval.
Selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
Headache, asthenia, diarrhea, constipation; QT prolongation.
Formerly known under the brand name Kytril.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure