Gentamicin Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Gentamicin sulfate 40mg/mL; IM, or IV inj after dilution; contains sulfites.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Gentamicin Inj:
Serious susceptible infections.
Obesity: Base dose on lean body mass. Usual duration 7–10 days. 1mg/kg IM or IV every 8 hours; max 5mg/kg/day. For alternative dosing regimens (eg, extended intervals) see literature.
Premature and infants <1 week: 2.5mg/kg every 12 hours. Neonates: 2.5mg/kg every 8 hours. Others: 2–2.5mg/kg every 8 hours.
Monitor for nephro- and neurotoxicity; avoid peak serum levels >12micrograms/mL (when dosed at conventional intervals) and trough levels >2micrograms/mL. Renal impairment: reduce dose, see literature; maintain adequate hydration. Prolonged use or excessive doses. Asthma. Neuromuscular disorders. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D): not recommended.
Avoid concomitant furosemide, ethacrynic acid, other nephro/neurotoxic drugs including cephalosporins. May potentiate neuromuscular blockade.
Nephro- or neurotoxicity, respiratory depression, lethargy, confusion, depression, visual disturbances, elevated liver enzymes, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand names Garamycin, Gentafair.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure