Generic Name and Formulations:
Genistein (as aglycone) 27mg, citrated zinc (as bisglycinate) 20mg, cholecalciferol (Vit.D3) 200IU; caps; lactose-, gluten-free; contains soy.
Indications for FOSTEUM:
Dietary management of osteopenia and osteoporosis.
1 cap twice daily; supplement with calcium and Vit.D3 as needed.
History of breast or reproductive organ cancer. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Not for treatment of Vit.D deficiency. Women who have 1st degree female relative with history of breast or reproductive cancer. Women capable of becoming pregnant (use adequate contraception). Males: not recommended. Severe hepatic or renal impairment. Conditions associated with overproduction of calcitriol (eg, leukemia, lymphoma, sarcoidosis) or signs/symptoms of Vit.D toxicity; monitor urine and serum calcium. Long-term supplementation or high-doses of zinc-containing products: monitor zinc and copper levels. GI malabsorption; may need higher Vit.D3 doses (monitor). Ensure adequate calcium and Vit.D3 intake.
Concomitant HRT, SERMs: not recommended. Vit.D3 absorption may be decreased by bile acid sequestrants, mineral oil, orlistat, olestra. Cimetidine, thiazides, anticonvulsants may increase Vit.D3 catabolism.
Abdominal and epigastric pain, dyspepsia, vomiting, constipation.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk