FOSAMAX PLUS D Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Alendronate (as sodium), cholecalciferol (Vit. D3); 70mg/2800 IU, 70mg/5600 IU; tabs.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for FOSAMAX PLUS D:
Treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Treatment of osteoporosis in men. Limitations of use: alone should not be used to treat vitamin D deficiency. Optimal duration of use has not been determined. For patients at low-risk for fracture, consider drug discontinuation after 3–5yrs.
Swallow whole. Take in the AM with plain (not mineral) water only, at least 30 mins before the first food, drink, or medication of the day (6–8oz water after tabs or 2oz after oral solution); do not lie down for at least 30 mins and until after the first food of the day. Osteoporosis treatment in men or postmenopausal women: 10mg tab once daily or 70mg once weekly or one 70mg/2800 IU or 70mg/5600 IU tab once weekly. Osteoporosis prevention in postmenopausal women: 5mg tab once daily or 35mg tab once weekly. Glucocorticoid-induced: 5mg tab once daily; glucocorticoid-induced in postmenopausal women not on estrogen: 10mg tab once daily. Paget's: 40mg once daily for 6 months; may retreat after a 6-month post-treatment evaluation period (based on serum alkaline phosphatase).
Esophageal abnormalities which delay esophageal emptying (eg, stricture, achalasia). Inability to stand or sit upright for at least 30 mins. Aspiration risk (oral solution). Hypocalcemia.
Active upper GI disease; discontinue and reevaluate if signs/symptoms of esophageal reaction occur. Severe renal insufficiency (CrCl <35mL/min): not recommended. Correct preexisting hypocalcemia, other mineral (eg, Vit. D deficiency) or bone disturbances before starting. Monitor for hypocalcemia during therapy. Ensure adequate Vit. D and calcium intake. Risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw; consider discontinuing therapy during invasive dental procedures (eg, tooth extraction, implants, surgery). History of bisphosphonate exposure: evaluate for atypical fractures if thigh/groin pain develops; consider withholding therapy until risk/benefit assessment. Reevaluate periodically. Glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: prior to treatment, check patients' gonadal hormonal status and consider appropriate replacement; if concomitant glucocorticoids, monitor BMD before starting and repeat after 6–12 months. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Calcium supplements, antacids, other multivalent cations reduce absorption (separate dosing by at least 30min). Increased GI distress with aspirin and alendronate >10mg/day; caution with NSAIDs, other GI irritants. Anticonvulsants, cimetidine, thiazides, olestra, mineral oils, orlistat, bile acid sequestrants may antagonize Vit. D3.
Bisphosphonate + Vit. D3.
Abdominal pain, acid regurgitation, constipation, diarrhea, dyspepsia, nausea, musculoskeletal pain (may be severe), headache; esophagitis, esophageal ulcer, stricture, or erosion, melena, jaw osteonecrosis, atypical femur fractures; rarely: gastric or duodenal ulcer.
Tabs, Soln—contact supplier; Tabs 70mg—4; Plus D—4, 12, 100, 500
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Case for Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- Telemedicine Expands Access to Rural, Low-Income, Isolated Communities
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Pioglitazone May Reduce Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in T2D
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- MiniMed 670G System Improves Glycemic Outcomes in Children With T1D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Low Sperm Count Linked to Poor Metabolic, Cardiovascular, Bone Health
- Estrogen Improves Eating Behavior, Psychopathology in Oligo-Amenorrheic Athletes