Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluticasone propionate 50mcg/spray; aqueous nasal spray.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Fluticasone:
Perennial nonallergic rhinitis.
Initially 2 sprays in each nostril once daily or 1 spray in each nostril twice daily (AM and PM). Maintenance: may reduce to 1 spray in each nostril daily. Max total daily doses: 2 sprays in each nostril (200mcg/day).
<4yrs: not established. ≥4yrs: initially 1 spray in each nostril once daily; may increase to 2 sprays in each nostril once daily. Maintenance: 1 spray in each nostril once daily. Max total daily doses: 2 sprays in each nostril (200mcg/day).
Maintain regular regimen. Respiratory tract tuberculosis. Infections (eg, ocular herpes simplex). If exposed to measles or chickenpox, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with topical corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, depression). Monitor for growth suppression in children. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually), and candida infection or other nasal mucosal changes. Avoid eyes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid ritonavir. Caution with potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole).
Headache, pharyngitis, epistaxis, nasal burning, asthma symptoms, GI upset, cough, reduced growth velocity in children.
Formerly known under the brand name Flonase.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Soluble Klotho Levels Predictive of Kidney Failure in Type 2 Diabetes
- HbA1c Levels Predictive of Liraglutide Treatment Response in T2D
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Comorbid and Pharmacologic Factors Increase Risk for Gastrointestinal Disorders in Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Hormonal Contraceptives May Adversely Affect Psychological Health in Adolescent Girls
- Obesity Can Negatively Effect Liver in Children as Young as 8
- Recommendations Developed on Gender Equity in Medicine