Fluphenazine Decanoate Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluphenazine decanoate 25mg/mL; syringe; vial; contains benzyl alcohol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Fluphenazine Decanoate Inj:
Depot parenteral for psychosis.
Initially: 12.5–25mg IM or SC every 4–6 wks; max 100mg/dose.
Coma. CNS or bone marrow depression. Liver disease. Subcortical brain damage. Blood dyscrasias.
Cardiovascular or renal disease. Pheochromocytoma. Seizures. Glaucoma. History of breast cancer. Exposure to extreme heat or organophosphates. Gradually reduce to lowest effective maintenance dose. Monitor blood, liver, renal, and ocular function. Mental retardation. Surgery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiates anticholinergics, CNS depression with alcohol and other CNS depressants; both drugs with propranolol. Antagonized by anticholinergics. Decreased guanethidine effects. May cause false (+) pregnancy test.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic and other autonomic effects, insomnia, restlessness, rash, photosensitivity, tardive dyskinesia, blood dyscrasias, jaundice, pneumonia, hypertension, retinopathy, lowered seizure threshold, extrapyramidal reactions, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, weight changes, endocrine effects.
Formerly known under the brand names Prolixin (tabs, concentrate, elixir, inj); Permitil (tabs, concentrate); Prolixin Decanoate (decanoate inj).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- Reducing Total Daily Insulin Dose in T2D: 3-Meal vs 6-Meal Diet
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk
- Drug Copayments Often Cost More Than Prescription Drugs
- Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery Offers Best Outcomes for Pregnant Women With T1D