Generic Name and Formulations:
Epoprostenol (as sodium) 0.5mg, 1.5mg; per vial; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution.
Indications for FLOLAN:
Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) (WHO Group I) in patients with NYHA Class III or IV symptoms, to improve exercise ability.
Give by continuous chronic IV infusion through a central venous catheter. Initially 2ng/kg/min; increase in increments of 1–2ng/kg/min at ≥15min intervals based on response. Decrease dose gradually in 2ng/kg/min decrements at ≥15min intervals until dose-limiting effects resolve.
Heart failure due to reduced left ventricular ejection fraction.
Avoid abrupt withdrawal or large dose reductions (may cause rebound pulmonary hypertension). Discontinue if pulmonary edema occurs; do not restart. Increased risk for hemorrhagic complications. Monitor BP and symptoms of vasodilation during initiation and after dose changes. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Hypotensive effects may be potentiated by diuretics, antihypertensive agents, other vasodilators. Increased risk of bleeding with anticoagulants, antiplatelets.
Dizziness, jaw pain, headache, musculoskeletal pain, nausea, vomiting, flushing.
Vials—1 (w. diluent)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Executive Function Predicts T1D Management Into Emerging Adulthood
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- RET Inhibitor Gets Breakthrough Treatment Status for Medullary Thyroid Cancer
- Physical Activity as a Lifestyle Factor Influencing Early Menopause
- Situation Framing, Language Can Influence Decision-Making
- Gains in Insurance Coverage Seen for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Adults
- Oral Contraceptives Associated With Ventricular Repolarization Alterations