FLAGYL ER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Metronidazole 750mg; ext rel tabs.
Indications for FLAGYL ER:
Bacterial vaginosis in non-pregnant women.
Swallow whole. Take 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. 750mg once daily for 7 days. Severe hepatic impairment: not recommended. Hemodialysis: consider dose supplementation after session.
Premenarche: not established.
Pregnancy (1st trimester for trichomoniasis). Within 2 weeks of disulfiram (possible psychotic reactions). Concomitant alcohol or propylene glycol containing-products during or at least 3 days after treatment.
Discontinue if abnormal neurological symptoms occur. Candidiasis. History of blood dyscrasias. Monitor for leukopenia; do CBCs before, during and after therapy. Risk of severe/fatal hepatotoxicity in Cockayne Syndrome; obtain LFTs (at baseline, within first 2–3 days after initiation, frequently during therapy, and after completion); discontinue if elevated. Hepatic or renal impairment; monitor. Elderly: monitor serum levels. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. May potentiate oral anticoagulants, lithium; monitor. Avoid concomitant busulfan; if needed, adjust busulfan dose and monitor. May be antagonized by phenobarbital, phenytoin, other hepatic enzyme inducers. May impair phenytoin clearance. May be potentiated by cimetidine, other hepatic enzyme inhibitors. IV: may potentiate 5-FU, vecuronium, CYP3A4 substrates (eg, amiodarone, tacrolimus, cyclosporine,carbamazepine, phenytoin, quinidine); monitor. May interfere with serum chemistry tests.
Nausea, headache, anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, epigastric distress, abdominal cramping, constipation, metallic taste, dysuria, cystitis; seizures, encephalopathy, optic/peripheral neuropathy, aseptic meningitis.
Tabs—50, 100; ER—30; Caps 375mg—50
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diet Quality and Glycemic Control in Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Most Foods Containing Fructose Do Not Have Harmful Effect on Glycemic Control
- Effects of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss Maintenance
- Hypothyroidism Treatment No Longer Available
- Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals in Personal Care Products Linked to Early Puberty
- Normalized HbA1c Levels Facilitate Improved Neuropathy Outcomes in T2D
- Parental Perception of Child Weight Status Predicted by Child BMI z Scores
- Fear Impacts Quality of Life for Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes
- Five-Year Efficacy Data Announced for Liletta Intrauterine System
- AMA Code of Medical Ethics Guides Physicians in Fighting Harmful Online Health Information