Generic Name and Formulations:
Degarelix 80mg/vial, 120mg/vial; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for FIRMAGON:
Advanced prostate cancer.
Give by SC inj in abdomen once every 28 days; avoid waist and rib areas. Two 120mg injections once, then one 80mg inj once every 28 days.
Congenital long QT syndrome. CHF. Correct electrolyte abnormalities. Monitor electrolytes and ECG periodically. Monitor serum PSA. Discontinue if serious hypersensitivity reaction occurs; do not rechallenge. Moderate or severe renal impairment (CrCl <50mL/min). Severe hepatic impairment. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval.
Inj site reactions (eg, pain, erythema, swelling, induration), hot flashes, increased weight, fatigue, increased transaminases, increased gamma-glutamyltransferase; QT prolongation.
Treatment Initiation pack (120mg/vial)—2 (w. supplies); Treatment Maintenance pack (80mg/vial)—1 (w. supplies)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Link Between Gestational Diabetes and Risk for CVD and Diabetes in Hispanic/Latina Population
- Clinical Characteristics Altering Risks and Benefits of Sulfonylureas and Thiazolidinedione Therapy in T2D
- 6 Factors Related to Inclusion in Health Care Workplace Identified
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D