FELBATOL SUSPENSION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Mylan Specialty L.P.
Indications for FELBATOL SUSPENSION:
Not a first-line treatment. Partial seizures with or without generalization in adults. Adjunct in Lennox-Gastaut syndrome in children.
See full labeling. ≥14yrs: initial monotherapy: 1.2g/day in 3–4 divided doses, increase by 600mg every 2 weeks to 2.4g/day and up to 3.6g/day if needed. Conversion to monotherapy/adjunctive therapy: 1.2g/day in 3–4 divided doses, increase to 2.4g/day at week 2, and to 3.6g/day at week 3. Dosages of concomitant anticonvulsant drugs should be reduced upon the initiation of felbamate therapy and weekly thereafter (see full labeling). Renal dysfunction: reduce initial and maintenance dose by ½.
Lennox-Gastaut: ≥2yrs: 15mg/kg per day in 3–4 divided doses, increase dose by 15mg/kg per day at 1 week intervals to 45mg/kg per day. Dose of concomitant anticonvulsant drug should be reduced upon the initiation of felbamate therapy (see full labeling).
History of hepatic dysfunction or blood dyscrasias.
Aplastic anemia. Hepatic failure.
Increased risk of aplastic anemia or hepatic failure. Do full baseline hematologic evaluations and hepatic function tests before, during, and after therapy; discontinue if hepatic tests are abnormal or bone marrow depression occurs; consult hematologist if hematological abnormalities occur. Suicidal tendencies (monitor). Adjust dose of and monitor other anticonvulsants. Avoid abrupt cessation. Obtain written informed consent. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Increases serum levels of phenytoin, valproate, carbamazepine metabolite. Decreases carbamazepine levels. Serum levels decreased by phenytoin, carbamazepine.
Anorexia, vomiting, insomnia, nausea, headache; rare: primary hepatotoxicity, aplastic anemia.
Tabs—100; Susp—4oz, 8oz, 32oz
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Link Between Gestational Diabetes and Risk for CVD and Diabetes in Hispanic/Latina Population
- Clinical Characteristics Altering Risks and Benefits of Sulfonylureas and Thiazolidinedione Therapy in T2D
- 6 Factors Related to Inclusion in Health Care Workplace Identified
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D