Although metformin has been studied in randomized trials as adjunctive therapy to insulin in individuals with type 1 diabetes, further investigation in the form of outcomes trials is necessary to assess risks vs benefits.
Ranking or otherwise gauging physician quality isn't just a way to assign bragging rights — performance metrics can be used to set reimbursement levels, tailor insurance, and identify physicians who are falling behind.
Dr Bush discusses the combination of SGLT2 inhibitors and GLP-1 receptor agonist for the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
Endocrinologist Kevin M. Pantalone, DO, and psychiatrist Christian Kohler, MD, discuss the risk associated with the use of antipsychotic medications in individuals with type 2 diabetes.
Barriers and strategies for medication adherence in youth with type 2 diabetes were found to be similar to those observed in youth with other chronic pediatric conditions.
Identifying a patient's preferences and goals leads to a care plan that can reflect those goals, and this may improve patient satisfaction.
Long-distance air travel presents numerous unique challenges for insulin-treated patients with diabetes. More accessible and adequate sources of guidance are needed to facilitate travel planning among this patient population.
Knowing that certain characteristics increase the risk for dermatology patients who may have metabolic syndrome will enable clinicians to identify patients who may have specific cardiovascular risks.
Kevin Pantalone, DO, from the Cleveland Clinic, provides insight into the management of gastrointestinal symptoms in patients with diabetes.
Experts call on healthcare providers to diligently focus on hypertension as an important comorbid condition that is strongly associated with adverse cardiovascular outcomes, including death.
Of various interventions used in nonclinical settings for the prevention of childhood overweight and obesity, school-based programs that combine nutrition and exercise and include a home-based component appear to be the most effective approaches.
Although many of the newer antidiabetic drugs have demonstrated favorable outcomes in clinical trials, some have also been associated with increased risk of adverse CV outcomes.
Testosterone therapy is recommended in men with hypogonadism to correct symptoms of testosterone deficiency. Men who are otherwise healthy do not need to be screened for hypogonadism.
In combination with dietary and physical activity counseling, all semaglutide doses from 0.05-0.4 mg daily were tolerated and resulted in dose-related reductions in body weight among people with obesity without diabetes.
An increasing number of studies support the use of continuous glucose monitoring in adult patients with T2D, and the observed benefits are likely to extend to youth with T2D.
Although research on the role of behavior change technique for implementing dietary changes in patients with type 2 diabetes has yielded conflicting results, individualizing techniques and goals may help encourage long-term sustainability of positive eating habits.
Study showed gender-discordant metabolic impairment during puberty that was correlated with peak growth velocity in boys, but not in girls.
Every year, suicide takes the lives of close to 400 physicians and takes medical care from as many as 1 million patients.
Considering the effective osteoporosis treatments now available, there is an opportunity to individualize therapy for patients at various levels of risk.
Michael Pillinger, MD, professor of medicine at New York University School of Medicine, spoke with Rheumatology Advisor about his team's recent review of gout and metabolic syndrome.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Fenofibrate Improves Cholesterol Levels in Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States
- CVS Pharmacy Launches Prescription Delivery Service Nationwide
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit
- Kidney Function Decline Occurs Nearly Twice as Fast in Diabetes