Generic Name and Formulations:
Melphalan HCl 50mg/vial; lyophilized pwd; for IV infusion after reconstitution.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for EVOMELA:
High-dose conditioning treatment prior to hematopoietic progenitor (stem) cell transplantation in patients with multiple myeloma. Palliative treatment of multiple myeloma when oral therapy is not appropriate.
Give prophylactic antiemetics. Conditioning treatment: Give by IV infusion over 30 minutes. 100mg/m2 daily for 2 consecutive days (Days -3 and -2) prior to transplantation (Day 0). If patient weighs >130% of their ideal body weight, use adjusted ideal body weight. Palliative treatment: Give by IV infusion over 15–20 minutes. 16mg/m2 as a single infusion at 2-week intervals for 4 doses, then at 4-week intervals after recovery from toxicity. Renal impairment (BUN ≥30mg/dL): consider up to 50% dose reduction for palliative treatment.
Prior irradiation or chemotherapy. Severe bone marrow suppression. Monitor CBCs during treatment; provide supportive care for infections, anemia, thrombocytopenia until adequate recovery. GI toxicity; provide supportive care. Monitor LFTs. Renal impairment. Embryo-fetal toxicity; use effective contraception during and after treatment. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with cyclosporine, BCNU, nalidixic acid.
Decreased neutrophil, WBC, lymphocyte, and platelet counts, diarrhea, nausea, fatigue, hypokalemia, anemia, vomiting; hypersensitivity reactions, hepatic disorders, secondary malignancies, infertility.
Single-dose vial (20mL)—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diet Quality and Glycemic Control in Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Most Foods Containing Fructose Do Not Have Harmful Effect on Glycemic Control
- Effects of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss Maintenance
- Sleep Quality in Women With Surgical vs Natural Menopause
- Unhealthy Lifestyle and Rotating Night Shifts Put Nurses at Higher Risk for T2D
- Hypothyroidism Treatment No Longer Available
- Obesity Subtype May Determine Outcomes After Bariatric Surgery
- Few Physicians Work in Practices That Use Telemedicine
- Skin Autofluorescence Predicts T2D, Heart Disease, Mortality
- ACC: Smoking Cessation Expert Decision Pathway Emphasizes Team-Based Support