Generic Name and Formulations:
Eprosartan (as mesylate) 400mg, 600mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Eprosartan:
Monotherapy: not volume depleted: initially 600mg once daily. Usual range: 400–800mg/day given as a single dose or in two divided doses. Moderate-to-severe renal impairment: max 600mg daily.
Concomitant aliskiren in patients with diabetes.
Fetal toxicity may develop; discontinue if pregnancy is detected. Correct salt/volume depletion before beginning therapy or monitor closely. Monitor BP, renal function, electrolytes. Renal artery stenosis. Severe CHF. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D); monitor. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB).
See Contraindications. Dual inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system with ARBs, ACEIs, or aliskiren may increase risk of hypotension, hyperkalemia, renal function changes; avoid. Avoid concomitant aliskiren in renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min). May be antagonized by, and renal toxicity potentiated by NSAIDs, including COX-2 inhibitors; monitor renal function periodically in elderly and/or volume-depleted. May increase lithium levels; monitor.
Viral infection, injury, fatigue, abdominal pain, hypertriglyceridemia, arthralgia, depression, urinary tract or upper respiratory tract infection, rhinitis, pharyngitis, coughing, hypotension, rhabdomyolysis (rare).
Formerly known under the brand name Teveten.
Hepatic. 98% protein bound.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Trends in Cardiovascular Deaths for US Adults With and Without Diabetes
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Comparing Efficacies of Second-Line Treatments in Type 2 Diabetes
- Higher Risk for Meningioma Linked to GH Treatment, Radiotherapy During Childhood
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Disaster Preparedness 101: Physician Resources for Patients
- Assessing the Environmental Impact of the Healthcare Industry
- Medical Schools Phase Out Lectures as Education Shifts Outside the Classroom
- Clonidine Testing Is Safe and Reliable for Diagnosing Growth Hormone Deficiency