Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcium acetate 667mg (elemental calcium 169mg); tabs.
Indications for ELIPHOS:
Hyperphosphatemia in end stage renal failure.
Initially 2 tabs with each meal; may adjust dose to keep serum phosphate <6mg/dL. Usual dose: 3–4 tabs per meal.
Monitor serum calcium twice weekly during early dose adjustments, and serum phosphorus periodically. Ensure serum (Ca x P) to remain <66. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Avoid digitalis, calcium supplements, antacids. May antagonize tetracyclines.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Soluble Klotho Levels Predictive of Kidney Failure in Type 2 Diabetes
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Comorbid and Pharmacologic Factors Increase Risk for Gastrointestinal Disorders in Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Hormonal Contraceptives May Adversely Affect Psychological Health in Adolescent Girls
- Obesity Can Negatively Effect Liver in Children as Young as 8
- Recommendations Developed on Gender Equity in Medicine