Generic Name and Formulations:
Tesamorelin 2mg/vial; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Indications for EGRIFTA:
For the reduction of excess abdominal fat in HIV-infected patients with lipodystrophy.
Give by SC inj. Inject into abdomen, rotate inj sites. 2mg once daily.
Disruption of hypothalmic-pituitary axis due to hypophysectomy, hypopituitarism, pituitary tumors/surgery, head irradiation, or head trauma. Active malignancy. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Not for use in weight loss management. History of treated and stable malignancies. Discontinue in critically ill patients. Monitor IGF-1 levels closely; consider discontinuing if IGF-1 levels persistently elevated (eg, >3 SDS). Increased risk of impaired glucose tolerance or diabetes; monitor for changes in glucose metabolism. Monitor for worsening retinopathy in diabetic patients. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Growth hormone releasing factor analogue.
Caution with concomitant drugs metabolized by CYP450 (eg, corticosteroids, sex steroids, anticonvulsants, cyclosporine). May inhibit 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1; may need to increase maintenance and stress doses of glucocorticoid if needed for replacement in hypoadrenalism.
Arthralgia, inj site erythema/pruritus, pain in extremity, peripheral edema, myalgia, carpal tunnel syndrome, glucose intolerance, hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-use vial—30 (w. diluent)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D
- In Teens, Young Adults, High BMI May Hurt Cardiovascular Health
- Obesity Paradox Affects Type 2 Diabetes Mortality Rates
- Bi-Directional Association Observed Between Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Diabetes
- Real-World Data Show Reduced Fracture Rates in Teriparatide-Treated Osteoporosis