Generic Name and Formulations:
Metoprolol succinate ext-rel, hydrochlorothiazide; 25/12.5mg, 50/12.5mg, 100/12.5mg; tabs.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for DUTOPROL:
Individualize. Initially 25/12.5mg once daily; may titrate at 2-week intervals to max 200mg/25mg once daily. May substitute for individual titrated components. Severe renal impairment (CrCl ≤30mL/min): not established.
Cardiogenic shock. Decompensated heart failure. Sinus bradycardia. Sick sinus syndrome. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block unless paced. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy.
Ischemic heart disease. Worsening cardiac failure (reduce or interrupt dose if necessary). Bronchospastic disease. Monitor HR and rhythm; reduce dose or discontinue if severe bradycardia occurs. Pheochromocytoma. Major surgery. Renal or hepatic impairment. Volume depletion. Diabetes and hypoglycemia. Thyrotoxicosis (hyperthyroidism). Peripheral vascular disease. Acute myopia. Secondary angle-closure glaucoma. SLE. Gout. Post-sympathectomy. Avoid abrupt cessation (reduce dose over 1–2 weeks and monitor). Monitor electrolytes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Additive effects with catecholamine-depleting drugs (eg, reserpine, MAOIs). Potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, quinidine, fluoxetine, paroxetine, propafenone). Risk of bradycardia with digitalis, clonidine, diltiazem, verapamil. Potentiated by alcohol, barbituates, narcotics, other antihypertensives. Hypokalemia with corticosteroids, ACTH. May increase lithium toxicity. Antagonized by NSAIDs (monitor). Adjust antidiabetic drugs. Decreased absorption with cholestyramine and colestipol resins. Antagonizes epinephrine. Possible increased response to muscle relaxants (eg, tubocurarine). Beta-blockers may mask signs of hypoglycemia. May interfere with parathyroid tests.
Cardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
Nasopharyngitis, fatigue, dizziness, back pain, nausea; bronchospasm, bradycardia, CHF, heart block, vision disorders.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Case for Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- Telemedicine Expands Access to Rural, Low-Income, Isolated Communities
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Pioglitazone May Reduce Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in T2D
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- MiniMed 670G System Improves Glycemic Outcomes in Children With T1D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Low Sperm Count Linked to Poor Metabolic, Cardiovascular, Bone Health
- Estrogen Improves Eating Behavior, Psychopathology in Oligo-Amenorrheic Athletes