Generic Name and Formulations:
Metoprolol succinate ext-rel, hydrochlorothiazide; 25/12.5mg, 50/12.5mg, 100/12.5mg; tabs.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for DUTOPROL:
Individualize. Initially 25/12.5mg once daily; may titrate at 2-week intervals to max 200mg/25mg once daily. May substitute for individual titrated components. Severe renal impairment (CrCl ≤30mL/min): not established.
Cardiogenic shock. Decompensated heart failure. Sinus bradycardia. Sick sinus syndrome. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block unless paced. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy.
Cardiac ischemia after abrupt discontinuation.
Ischemic heart disease. Worsening cardiac failure (reduce or interrupt dose if necessary). Bronchospastic disease. Monitor HR and rhythm; reduce dose or discontinue if severe bradycardia occurs. Pheochromocytoma. Major surgery. Renal or hepatic impairment. Volume depletion. Diabetes and hypoglycemia. Thyrotoxicosis (hyperthyroidism). Peripheral vascular disease. Acute myopia. Secondary angle-closure glaucoma. SLE. Gout. Post-sympathectomy. Avoid abrupt cessation (reduce dose over 1–2 weeks and monitor). Monitor electrolytes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Cardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
Additive effects with catecholamine-depleting drugs (eg, reserpine, MAOIs). Potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, quinidine, fluoxetine, paroxetine, propafenone). Risk of bradycardia with digitalis, clonidine, diltiazem, verapamil. Potentiated by alcohol, barbituates, narcotics, other antihypertensives. Hypokalemia with corticosteroids, ACTH. May increase lithium toxicity. Antagonized by NSAIDs (monitor). Adjust antidiabetic drugs. Decreased absorption with cholestyramine and colestipol resins. Antagonizes epinephrine. Possible increased response to muscle relaxants (eg, tubocurarine). Beta-blockers may mask signs of hypoglycemia. May interfere with parathyroid tests.
Nasopharyngitis, fatigue, dizziness, back pain, nausea; bronchospasm, bradycardia, CHF, heart block, vision disorders.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Testosterone Use Remains High Among Men With Coronary Artery Disease
- Primary Characteristics of PCOS Predictive of Obstetric Complications
- Comparing Osteoporosis Screening, Treatment Strategies in Postmenopausal Women
- Maternal Thyroid Function in Pregnancy Linked to Childhood Risk for Disease
- Cerebral Small Vessel Disease More Common in Individuals With T1D vs General Population
- ADA's 2019 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes Focus on Patient-Centered Care
- Sleep Habits Affect Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents With Overweight, Obesity
- Levothyroxine Associated With Increased Mortality in Patients With Heart Failure
- Head-to-Head Comparison of Professional vs Personal CGM Systems in T1D
- Dual vs Triple Therapy for Metformin Treatment Intensification in Type 2 Diabetes
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis May Affect Brain Development in Children With T1D
- Higher Rates of Comorbidities Among Holocaust Survivors
- Population Health Data May Help Identify Patients at Risk for CVD
- Newborn Genomic Sequencing Can Identify Disease Risk